Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Whoopi! Studio Vision Pro works on 9.2.2 & 001

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka21stCentury View Post
I am still at a loss how the MicroExpress port tree (6 Midi outs) will be handled on Windows or Core MIDI will Core MIDI just open up the FreeMidi setup or OMS setup
Sorry, no. None of that will translate at all, as far as I know. You'll probably have to recreate your MIDI setup from scratch. I've never used an additional MIDI interface with LE, but I assume it's possible. Someone else will have to fill in that info.

BTW, while you were sleeping , softsynths have largely replaced hardware synths. It's all plugins these days. Less latency issues, cleaner sound. The big problem is that very few plugins support custom tunings.

You probably know that your 001 will not work with new versions of PT. An 002 or 003 will provide 2 MIDI outs. If you find that you need more than 32 channels of outboard MIDI, here's a page listing compatible MIDI interfaces:
http://www3.digidesign.com/index.cfm...4&itemid=23564

Nyquist was right.

PT 2019.6 Ultimate | Omni | macOS Sierra
PT 2019.6 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10
Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Yes. Someone. I'm going to upgrade to 6.4 and never interfere with those little bowler's again. I'm thinking... Rip must have stepped on a game in progress.

This way I can get rid of the resource forks. I have a thumb drive formatted Fat 32 and it creates a separate folder for resource forks. So unless you're real crafty, way too much work, these files neither open on 9 or OS-X once altered by Fat 32 format.

And to make matters worse. I have to boot that machine into tiger and transfer as OS-9 doesn't recognize Fat 32. Fortunately I have Panther Disks too which is notorius for breaking hardware as is tiger. So my G-4 will have to be a 4 boot system. Because... no eject key. No monitor settings. So I had to reinstall all 5 Apple disks to get 9.2.1 and the monitor settings to change. Then it installs Jag and classic on boot drive. But at least there's dual tray eject apps that open and close DVD or CD-ROM trays. PITA

Before the little guys got me, I did have 10. 10.1 10.2 but always on separate drive. Never classic support. Is this my trouble? Buggy DAE? I had no way of breaking that open. But now I know better and have Pacifist I think I could try reinstalling, but on a Quicksilver and a vanilla install of 9 no monitor resolution support. No info on Apple's website. Flying blind so what was the deal with these Quicksilvers?

My good friend who passed away bought an original mBox for recording acoustic tenor guitars, old Martin Ukes,etc. It was spikey as in RF spikes so it is not useable as a recording machine in this suburban area (AM stations, Police, Fire, FAA, etc).

But I could also upgrade to 7.4 for that mBox. What do you think? Just to try out? Cheaper probably to buy something used with a ilok license for 8.

Also since I want two lock to machines and don't need builtin pres the Mbox Pro maybe a better choice. I have a SIIG firewire PCI card with TI 1394a. For the PC and now the son of a friend who's a PC wiz kid to help me.

Don't laugh but I have these beautiful bansuri cane flutes. My idea was to use VIs, but I have the real things and that no VIs will replace. So audio and timestretch needs. And anyway. Corea was famous for soloing Pythagorian scale over tempered scales.

Otherwise I wouldn't need time stretch to retune to the bansuri or occarina, record, then back to concert pitch. I could just retune (pitch) the VIs or hardware synths. Serato P N T way too expensive. Yes the synth hardware except the real McCoy, all supports alternative tunings. Thus my dream was to run Trillian and Omnisphere and maybe Komplete 6, as many NI VIs support alternative tunings.

I have a head the weight of a bowling ball. And not the little guys either. The full size one. It's friggin killing my neck (thoraxic spurs & lyme's disease). No real 'drugs' either to kill the pain. I have an adversion to bad vibes, nightmares, lived on the lower east side at one time, seen the damage done as Neil wrote.

My dream was Omnisphere and Trillian and a non-prone position.

Quote:
BME 3.02 will convert hopefully (just downloaded from Tucows) Simpletext Picture format (OS-8-9 screen snapshots) to gif or jpeg. So if anyone reads this helpful thread (at least I think it's helpful) go to Tucows it's freeware. BME 3.02. Graphics converter may work but my German is rusty and I can't figure out which is which on their site. Versiontracker links only to the developers site in Deutschland
What do I do with my MIDI setups and upgrades? Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2014, 02:47 PM

i suggest u come hang out over at macos9lives.com if u want to use os9
im reading what u wrote about resource forks and im shaking my head...

i realize its an old thread by 4 years but still..
threads are indexed by search engines.. so people read them when they touch upon desired topics so lets put some answers here..

to convert os9 screenshots: use photoshop or graphic converter.. if u have the restore discs the guy spoke of on this thread on the applications cd is a copy of graphic converter 4.2 pre-registered to "apple bundle" this is a snap to install + use to convert the .pict format images to .jpg or .png or whatever format u desire

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE copy mac files to a fat32 formatted thumbdrive or otherwise.. unless u encode the files into a binary format
formats reccomended: .sit stuffit file using dropstuff is the easiest for most people, or u can create a disk image using disk copy (in utilities folder) by dragging a containing folder to the open disk copy app, once thats dont u want to encode it to macbinary format so u end up with a .img.bin file.. then u can safely copy this to a fat32 filesystem
there is a stuffit expander for windows so im not sure what the OP's intention was to copy mac files to a fat32 drive.. resource forks should never need "deleting"
u shouldnt even be aware of them.. this guy in this thread was making some huge no no's ..

if copying files to send to mac os x from 9, u can use disk copy 6.5 to create .img files in os9 and those .img files should be mountable easily via disk utility or by just double clicking.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I came across a link to StudioVision 2.5 here on the DUC and was suprised that it installed and seemed perfectly fine on XP SP3 (Windows Media Center 2005 Outlaw Edition). This app is/was way before my time and I don't have any need for it (or a clue how to use it) but I was surprised that it seemed to work just fine. From what I could tell its serial MIDI only I dont think it supports USB MIDI.
it may have looked like it was working just fine but i doubt it would..
that app is for windows 95.. it installs easily +instantly + works great on OSR2

not the same situation under win98se i had problems with it so i doubt it would have worked under XP.... i will now have to investigate this of course.. gee thanks lol
Old 10-11-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
But... MIDI OMS how to deal? I can enforce/pc mac compatiblilty for Pro Tools but what happens with OMS on windows since it doesn't exist?

It makes more sense for me to go up in stages. First to tiger or leopard. then to W-7 on Asus quad core. But I have no concept how freeMidi or OMS substitutes work in either OS-X or Windows?
oms for windows does exist -- but like i said on my comment for svp2.5
it was written for windows 95 osr2.. itwas made before windows 98 was released in 1997 or 1998 i think. or maybe earlier.

Quote:
I have been taking screenshots to refer back to but even this is tedius because OS-9 uses some bizaar unsupported pix file.
the format it uses is called .PICT and is supported by many image processing programs, as i suggested one of the easiest ways of converting this is using the graphicConverter app found on your quicksilver applications cd that comes with the restore disc set. or u can download a trial from macintoshgarden.