Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2016, 04:42 AM

Default What next?

So now that AVOID have taken 2 years to "invent" Dropbox, despite the fact that nobody gives a &/%$ what will be the next thing that we have to rent on top of our subscriptions for even more dollars to finance Hernandez firing developers?
Old 04-02-2016, 05:01 AM

Default Re: What next?

Calm down, this thing is huge. When I first heard about it in the summer of 2014 I couldn't just believe what I just heard. Now it is a reality. This is a 1.0 Cloud Collaborating software so let's just learn what there is for me (or you) specifically. I'm already liking it (though initial releases might have more bugs than we'd tolerate but give it some time just like 64bit PT software and AAX plugins)
Old 04-02-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tention View Post
So now that AVOID have taken 2 years to "invent" Dropbox, despite the fact that nobody gives a &/%$ what will be the next thing that we have to rent on top of our subscriptions for even more dollars to finance Hernandez firing developers?
More noise blast fixes, that don't fix the blasts, but initially give people enough incentive to buy into another year of b/s.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-02-2016, 06:41 AM

i have to agree with @tention on this.

and for a "1.0" surely there should have been audio streaming between collaborators. that seems like a basic requirement - even if it's limited audio quality, and for reference purposes only.

for a release more than a decade later than everyone else has it, this is a lame duck.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlfader View Post
for a release more than a decade later than everyone else has it, this is a lame duck.
I peg your pardon? What other DAW has cloud collaboration today? We're not talking about Fakebook here...

Just the other day I was making changes for a project (session in oldskool thinking) when the other guy was about going to go to sleep. Few quick changes, get the job done, period. No need for myself to take a 10 hour time difference flight that takes at least 16 hours (plus border check) one way and costs many thousands. So 3 days compared to 3 minutes. Great or not?

Not to mention I saved thousands of dollars by not traveling. Agreed this was a test gig, but nevertheless, this is what it's going to be.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I peg your pardon? What other DAW has cloud collaboration today? We're not talking about Fakebook here...

Just the other day I was making changes for a project (session in oldskool thinking) when the other guy was about going to go to sleep. Few quick changes, get the job done, period. No need for myself to take a 10 hour time difference flight that takes at least 16 hours (plus border check) one way and costs many thousands. So 3 days compared to 3 minutes. Great or not?

Not to mention I saved thousands of dollars by not traveling. Agreed this was a test gig, but nevertheless, this is what it's going to be.
I hear what you're saying @JFreak but 1.0 CC is a step up from dropbox but not hugely life changing. Steinberg's VST Connect Pro is realtime collaboration & has been for quite a while now.
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 04-02-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Steinberg has both: cloud collaboration (they call it VST transit) AND high quality live audio remote recording like source connect (they call it vst connect).

VST transit was released around christmas. VST Connect has been around for years....
Old 04-02-2016, 07:13 AM

The cynic in me says it's just another way of Avid trying to increase their revenue by becoming cloud storage hosts. http://www.avid.com/en/avid-cloud-co...-tools/pricing

Nothing wrong with that of course from a business point of view, but kind of annoying if this takes priority over improving or creating new audio/editing related features.

Can't say it's really for me. I've been mixing for international clients for years using yousendit /Hightail / wetransfer etc, without having to get on any planes, or indeed even leave my studio.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:16 AM

Sorry guys, I have no idea how well those work. But this one (Avid CC) seems to be working pretty well given it's a 1.0 software. Avid wasn't the first, but when I first time heard about it (summer 2014) there wasn't a comparable product.

It isn't perfect, at least for now. I myself found that local project cache may corrupt and when it does it forces PT to quit unexpectedly. It took some time to find out that deleting local project cache forces PT to have an empty session and download the stuff again. All of this should improve in time.

My #1 feature request at this time would be separating Artist Chat to separate application, like Application Manager, so that whenever you're traveling without iLok, you could still have the artist chat.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:29 AM

sorry, i was wrong . . .

back in 2001 . . .

(15 years ago)