Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2020, 05:06 AM

Default Zoom features

I recently switched from Cubase 10.5 to Protools 2020. In cubase I could hold control+ scoll and zoom in exactly where the cursor was. If I hovered the cursor over the beat control+ scoll and it would zoom in. Is there a way to apply this to protools WITHOUT HAVING TO CLICK ON THE ZOOM TOOL? If not, is there at least a way to zoom in to a selection while recording or play back? I like to edit as I'm recording an artist sometimes and zooming to editing a part in the middle of the song while recording at the end would be so helpful. HELP

Last edited by JpTracks; 12-17-2020 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Zoom features

Hmmm, that can be a dangerous work flow. When I am recording, I try to do nothing else. Many times, things work just fine, but accidentally hitting the wrong thing can ruin a take, whether it stops recording, or causes some little change to the headphone mix that the artist(s) are working to.

Having said that, there are a few things to try:
1-If you highlight a selection and hit the E key(keyboard focus enabled), the selection should fill the screen almost completely
2-You have scrolling options to consider(Options menu>Scrolling) so check them out. I like to use the PAGE setting, but you might prefer NONE(the default).
3-The T and R keys will zoom in and out horizontally

BTW, keyboard focus is turned on/off on the little box(upper right corner of the edit field) with the az letters(yellow is on). This allows most key commands to work without also using the Ctrl(Cmd) key, so check that stuff out too

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM

Have a tour through the Pro Tools Shortcuts PDF. Look for Alt+Scroll, Shift+Scroll and Alt+Shift+Scroll. I use these a lot.

Look in the Reference Manual for "Scrolling Options" and "Linking or Unlinking Timeline
and Edit Selections". I'm not sure if you can edit while recording, certainly not in Shuffle Mode, but you would have to UNlink Timeline and Edit Selections to try. You can also "drop in" Markers where you want to make an edit after recording, but be sure to set the Preference to automatically name memory locations.

As albee said, I too wouldn't be doing any editing when recording.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction

Last edited by The Weed; 12-21-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:50 PM

Learning Pro Tools on 12.5 here, the zoom features are not as good Logic, I reckon, or maybe its coz I am so used to Logic?

Though I do like the fact in PT you can click on the numbers 1,2,3,4,5 for different zoom presets, thats great.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:02 AM

"Have a tour through the Pro Tools Shortcuts PDF. Look for Alt+Scroll, Shift+Scroll and Alt+Shift+Scroll. I use these a lot."
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction