Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Headphone Cue mixes

I've looked through the Digi PT Manual and searched the forum but can't find anything relating to the setup of different headphone cue mixes for recording / overdubbing.

Does anyone have a link or such for a tutorial or article that will explain how to setup individual headphone mixes. I use a DELTA 1010LT which has 8 outputs - I currently only use outs 1+2 from the card into my Ymaha desk, but if required can run outs 3+4 / 5+6 / 7+8.

Basically, I want to know how to setup cue mixes for different people on the same project - whether or not I use the extra outs from the card. I know that if I'm only using outs 1+2, then only 1 cue mix is available at any one time - and if I want seperate cue mixes I'll need to use more of the cards outs. I just want to know how to setup a cue mix - even using outs 1+2, with different cue mixes setup I could choose which one to use at any given time.

hope this hasn't confused anyone....as usual, all ideas appreciated...

...cheers.......

M
Old 07-15-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Headphone Cue mixes

it really depends on what kind of setup you have (or want). for separate mixes, you'll probably need a more-me setup. This would allow you to send the instruments separately to your outputs for the musicians to control. They come in all kinds of combinations (3, 4, 6, 8, 12 channels...you name it).

You'll accomplish the headphone mix through creating sends on the channels. You'll want to select pre fader on each send. Also, as a starting point, you'll probably want to use the copy to send function under the edit menu.

Hope this helps.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 07-16-2007, 04:03 PM

OK....thanks for the tip....I'll have a look at it when i get home...

I guess you mean to use one of the sends (such as i'd use to send to a Reverb on Aux input) - and choose PreFader, and for example send "A" could be one cue mix, send "B" another mix etc etc....is this correct?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:19 AM

Yes that is correct. Each send would be for a different cue mix... You would need a stereo send for a stereo cue mix, but usually using a mono send into the left input of the headphone amp works just fine.

So, "send" to an Aux track (label accordingly), and then set the output of the aux track to one of your available ouputs. (make sure the sends are pre-fader as mentioned above, so that the signal is not affected by fader level... this way you can begin mixing even while you are recording.)

Musicians will have no problem telling you that they need more or less of themselves or another instrument, which you would adjust via the send for that instrument. They don't need individual control over their mix, at least not with the limited # of outputs you have. (I have the same card)

***TIP. open you I/O settings dialogue, and you can RENAME your outputs and busses
Ex: Output 7 change to CUE A, Output 8 change to CUE B
Bus 31, CUE A, Bus 32, CUE B
That will help you stay organized, and you can save your I/O settings.

Have Fun.
-Joe