How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 AM

Default Speed issues (please help)

okay.
I don't know exactly what I've done. I also claim no expertise beyond straight recording, which is really all I do.
I recorded something a while ago, 24bit/96kHz session as always. perhaps 8 audio tracks in samples. All sounded fine, I bounced the finished track down as 24/96 and as 16/44.1, listening both times and noticing no troubles.
Later on, after already uploading the files to share online, I realised that the whole track had become sped up to possibly around twice the original speed. I was very confused, but assumed something had gone wrong and the sampling rate changes whilst bouncing. I went back to the studio I use and plugged into my projectmix so I could bounce again from the original files, but now ALL the original individual tracks had also been sped up…
I don't understand exactly how this happened as I worked exactly as I always do, but I do know that at some point I opened up a track outside of protools in Audirvana, and that when this happened it changed the sample rate on my interface, a box popped up in protools and told me this and I cannot remember whether I clicked "okay" or just "save", but upon recently thinking about this I opened the session in question and tried to trick it back by doing this same thing in reverse, having the sample rate reset by opening a 44.1kHz FLAC file in Audirvana and then bouncing the track which now sounded as though slowed to the original playing speed. of course, as it performed the bounce it sounded like the right speed but was still writing as sped up, the time passing more slowly as I watched the timer during the bounce. I can't figure out a way to just change the sample rate inside pro-tools with it actually changing the speed of the tracks. Can someone please help me out, letting me know how I may change the speed of the track with as little deterioration in quality as possible? It was a beautiful recording, but now it seems that re-stretching the audio will kill that a little. that's okay as long as I can do something. How even may I just change the speed of the resulting WAV files? I tried to just put them into pro-tools and find a way to stretch the sound but nothing seemed to work properly.
This may seem a stupid problem, and though I may be a good engineer in as far as understanding mic placement and recording, how to capture great sound in the first place, I claim no great knowledge of working inside a DAW as all I have ever done is just straight up jazz recordings, a little bit of chopping, effects and EQ-jockeying on some other projects, and have never had to even think about a problem like this. I just look through the menus and get no wiser to how to help.
Please let me know my options. If I just accidentally changed the sample rate in the original session and saved it as such, also changing the sample rate of the separate tracks (?), surely this is easily reversed?
I really appreciate any help/
thanks.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Speed issues (please help)

The interface is an M-Audio projectmix.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:25 AM

Hey Gehah. My response has nothing to do with your problem and please excuse my interruption. How did you get your Project mix I/O to work with Pro Tools 9? I am running PT's 9.0.6 and try as I may I can't get the PMI/O to work! Even Sweetwater tech support, (the retailer) Had no luck. I hope you can advise me on this. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gehah View Post
The interface is an M-Audio projectmix.
Did you have anything connected via digital connections? External lightpipe or SPDIF? Maybe your session was set to 96K, but clocking to an external unit, if it was set to, say 48K, would cause this

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-12-2014, 01:44 PM

... but I do know that at some point I opened up a track outside of protools in Audirvana, and that when this happened it changed the sample rate on my interface, a box popped up in protools and told me this and I cannot remember whether I clicked "okay" or just "save", but upon recently thinking about this I opened the session in question and tried to trick it back by doing this same thing in reverse, having the sample rate reset by opening a 44.1kHz FLAC file in Audirvana ...

1. Do not have other programs running while working in Pro Tools.

2. Do not have any sort of audio programs running while working in Pro Tools if you aren't going to follow Step 1, but expect quite a few problems.

3. Do not open any sort of program that might "steal" or alter your audio interface while Pro Tools is open, but if you aren't going to follow Step1 and Step 2, expect to have a whole mess of problems...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh