Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2016, 12:15 PM

Default Loudness Range for PBS Concert

Folks, I'm mixing a crossover rock/classical show for PBS. Standard deliverables -24LKFS and -2TPK. I've just done a run of Act 1 (19-ish mins) with Insight, and I'm concerned about the dynamic range. Some of the legit classical sections sit around -36LUFS or near -40LUFS for a bit. I'm concerned that perhaps that's just too low for TV beyond a few seconds.

Loudness range across the duration of the act is 14.5LU. The mix averages -23LUFS Integrated from the promo clip before our show to the end of Act 1. I peak at -6.8TPK.

For what it's worth, the promo dialog sounds a touch loud compared to my mix.

Last edited by nick_k; 08-22-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Loudness Range for PBS Concert

Hello Nick,

I've done my share of PBS concerts over the years, and I've generally kept the vocal/dialog as loudness anchor and mixed around it. Also, even with orchestral shows with big dynamic range, I try to tame it a little with mix bus compression (low ratio + slow attack & release). As long as you are getting -24 +/- 2 LKFS, you should pass their QC. Hope this is helpful.

MacPro 12core PTHD 12.5.2 HDX + Aja Kona Lhi
Old 08-23-2016, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the reply. I can meet the letter of the spec, just concerned about sustained passages at -36 or less LUFS. I'm just not sure how long is too long to sit there, as much as I think that dynamic range is valuable and makes musical sense. Might it just be a little lost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyseal View Post
Hello Nick,

I've done my share of PBS concerts over the years, and I've generally kept the vocal/dialog as loudness anchor and mixed around it. Also, even with orchestral shows with big dynamic range, I try to tame it a little with mix bus compression (low ratio + slow attack & release). As long as you are getting -24 +/- 2 LKFS, you should pass their QC. Hope this is helpful.

MacPro 12core PTHD 12.5.2 HDX + Aja Kona Lhi

Thanks for the reply. I am just curious about lingering between -36 and -40 LUFS for too long, even though some these sections are legit classical music. Those dynamics are on purpose, and I want to preserve them, but don't want to get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2016, 04:23 AM

the promo should not be measured as part of the programme - that is a separate interstitial surely? Those have their own rules - so that they are balanced relative to the programmes, and not too loud.

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 09-04-2016, 01:44 AM

You need to make an informed decision on how the programme you are mixing is going to be consumed and Loudness Range can help here with choices on dynamic range for different types of ways the programme will be consumed, and takes into consideration the environment and ambient noise in which the programme will be listened too. As you can see from this graphic...

a loudness range of 14.5 puts it in the Legacy TV bracket, and so good for people sitting down at home watching the concert but too much LRA fro users consuming the concert on the move.

I cover this in much more detail in my Understanding Loudness video tutorial series.