Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-31-2005, 01:07 PM

Default What does Protools LE does 32 tracks really mean?

Does it mean 32 mono audio tracks, a stereo master track, 8 stero aux tracks, and 5 midi tracks? A total of 46.

Or does it mean 18 mono audio tracks, 1 stereo master track, 8 stereo aux tracks, and 5 midi tracks? A total of 32.

Scott
http://www.thecodenames.com
Old 08-31-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: What does Protools LE does 32 tracks really me

HI,

it means 32 mono AUDIO tracks or 16 stereo AUDIO tracks or any combination in between.

AUDIO=can record from the Audio Inputs.

AUX, Master and MIDI are not counted for this.

regs
Old 08-31-2005, 01:40 PM

It means we don't have enough tracks... Y'all know what I mean. I'm hoping for the day where we can see another 16 or at the very least 8....
Old 09-03-2005, 12:57 PM

Hi,
Since I moved to a G5 I noticed a great improvement in performance. Good. But also some strange situations when I get the warning message about reaching the track limit, and that some voices will be de-activated. I see this even when my actual track count is below 32. So, I myself am a bit puzzled by this. It certainly seems that an AUX channel will count as voice-s when it is used to run a synth or a virtual instrument -- yes? or no? Could it be that AUX tracks that are used as sends (running, say a Delay plug, to which signal is sent from several other audio tracks)... would be counted as additional 2 voices (stereo) used? If that is not the case, than something weird is going on on my machine... I should also add that I am generally fairly comfortable within the 32 track limit. Or I should say: I was -- on my old station... this has become an issue for me since I moved to the new machine.

Any definitive information about the voice/track count issue would be appreciated.

p.

----
PT LE 002 R
Mac OsX G5 dual 2G
2G RAM
Old 09-03-2005, 02:08 PM

exactly.

i asked this same question recently in this thread:

verb uses voices?

got no answer from digi. i would really like to know.

please, digi, may we have a definitive reply to this query?
Old 09-03-2005, 02:23 PM

HI,

see (LE 6.4) PT Reference Guide page 10 :

Quote:
Pro Tools LE System Capabilities Table 5 lists the playback, recording, and input
and output capabilities of each Pro Tools LE system. All Pro Tools LE systems support up
to 32 audio tracks, [...].

All Pro Tools LE series systems provide up to 128 Auxiliary tracks (Auxiliary Inputs), a total
of 16 internal mix busses, and up to 5 inserts and 5 sends per track (depending on your computer’s processing capacity).
In addition, Pro Tools LE systems support up to 256 MIDI tracks (Pro Tools 6.x).

to confirm this create a new session, add 32 Audio tracks plus a some AUX tracks...
all fine.

regs
Old 09-03-2005, 10:15 PM

Hi again,

Mindnoise, I read that manual back and forth, and I think the way it is written does leave the subject somewhat unclear. But more importantly, just to be sure, I loooked over some sessions that I remembered presenting this problem, and right now I am looking at a PT LE session which on open spits out this message:

"There are more active audio tracks than available voices. As a result, one or more audio tracks will not play."

The session consists of:
7 stereo audio tracks,
5 mono audio tracks,
5 stereo aux tracks,
1 stereo master track,
7 MIDI tracks,
and 1 stereo and 2 mono aux tracks which are disabled.

TOTAL:
19 active audio voices
10 active aux voices
2 active master voices
7 active MIDI tracks
4 disabled aux voices

which really, is nowhere near the numbers cited in the manual...
I have encountered similar situation several times, and (believe me) re-read all the manual references to track count, searched the DUC and web. Mostly people complain about 32 voices being not enough, which I probably agree with. But I would be happy to just get all the tracks that are supposed to work...

So, does this mean that my setup is failing because of something else? Or all my tracks (including audio AND aux AND master) do in fact use up the 32 available voices?... Or is there some other explanation to this? My thinking was that yes, you can have the 32 audio tracks, and then a bunch of aux tracks so long as the aux tracks are not used to "voice" some additional instruments, or, like for example one of my aux tracks, are mixing in a SPDIF signal from outboard gear... I really do not know, and thought this would be good opportunity to get to the bottom of this.

For the record;
The above listed sesssion is in
PT LE 6.7
Digi 002 Rack
Mac OSX 10.3.9
G5 Dual 2GHz
2.5 GB RAM

Thank you for your comments, and hoping to find out a bit more about this subject from anyone.

p.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: What does Protools LE does 32 tracks really mean?

It means voices, not including Aux tracks & MIDI tracks as another poster pointed out. It should be 48 voices... please digi, please - we'll pay extra... whatever... going to a HD is just insanely expensive & not worth it for a small studio.