Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2014, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Eleven rack and Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldR View Post
I see no need for you to upgrade internal hdd, anyway PT approved config is always with external hdd. 5400rpm vs 7200rpm is a legacy debate (used to be 10000rpm vs 7200rpm few years ago). RPM is just part of the equation...

As I said, start recording and see where your system starts to choke and upgrade accordingly. Don't spend money on system upgrade for nothing, spend it on better mic, preamp, cables, converters etc.
Problem with a slow system drive is just that - it's sloooooooooow to boot up and start programs. Remember that even though you will have PT set to record to drives other than the system drive it still has to access the system drive for not only the basic program but non-sampler vi's and fx. YOu can never have too much speed in a drive.

QAPLA!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Problem with a slow system drive is just that - it's sloooooooooow to boot up and start programs. Remember that even though you will have PT set to record to drives other than the system drive it still has to access the system drive for not only the basic program but non-sampler vi's and fx. YOu can never have too much speed in a drive.
This is exactly why I decided to go ssd for the internal drive...
Old 03-26-2014, 08:59 AM

If you want a fast computer with upgrade options don't buy a Mac Mini in the first place...

Spending money on an SDD drive for a Mac Mini is like putting $5000 mags on an 1998 Hyundai Accent IMO. Waiting a bit will not give you better sound quality, better off sticking with basic config (which is pretty decent anyway) and spend money on outboard gear where it gives real results on the final product.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldR View Post
If you want a fast computer with upgrade options don't buy a Mac Mini in the first place...

Spending money on an SDD drive for a Mac Mini is like putting $5000 mags on an 1998 Hyundai Accent IMO. Waiting a bit will not give you better sound quality, better off sticking with basic config (which is pretty decent anyway) and spend money on outboard gear where it gives real results on the final product.
No need to be down on the Mini - it's a damn good machine and with the expansion available there's not much that can't be done with it. These little boxes are running as servers in a lot of places and no reason they can't make a killer daw rig.

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber812 View Post
Hey Guys,

1) is the 1tb, 5400 internal hd ok to use for the os, or should I be upgrading to an ssd? I see that apple charges stupid expensive prices for ram and hd upgrades, which makes me want to not upgrade the internal unless it's really necessary. I see you tube vids that it looks fairly easy to DIY, but of course voids the warranty. Any suggestions for a decent Second hd for my music and sounds?

2) what should I be using for my second drive? USB, FireWire, or thunderbolt (if they make a drive w/thunderbolt)?

3) Does the eleven rack stand up as a sole interface? I will be running a mic or two, and my Roland drums into the line inputs at times, but other than that I may consider a second interface with more mic pre's if I need 'em.

Also, how can I integrate my ipad4, can I somehow use it as a control surface?

Anyways, I appreciate any and all advice. If I am posting in the wrong place forgive me, and point me the right way. I am of the generation that grew up without computers so forgive me if I'm asking questions that seem simple. The new setup will be for home/personal use only. I'm only a rock star in my mind

Peace,

Dobb.
Hi Dobb, I have a 2011 i5 MacBook Pro 13, upgraded it to 8GB, and use Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10. Eleven's integration with Pro Tools is great!

The internal 5400 drive is ok. I bought an OWC external drive enclosure, with a Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM. Firewire 800, and didn't have any problem yet!

It's my sole interface, and it's possible to produce great recordings! I use it to record guitars, bass, vocals, use an old Yamaha PSR keyboard as midi controller, through Eleven midi input, and EzDrummer or Slate Platinum as drum machine.

I know there are some paid iPad apps that work as control surface, connecting through WI FI, but never used any.

Buy the Eleven and the Mac! It's a great music production system!