Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2006, 08:33 PM

Default OT-Preamp/Patchbay/ADC Question

Okay, I've been trying to wrap my mind around this patchbay thing but the more I think I've got it, I come up with more confusion so I'd like to get the advice of you guys/gals out there doing it. Here's the thing.

I've got a couple of different preamps and always looking to expand as budget allows. I'm also looking at a Rosetta 200 to enhance the AD Conversion into the 002 to improve recording quality. I want a way to easily switch between different preamps, compressors, etc without losing the quality/color of the preamp connection while still routing throught the Rosetta for AD conversion. Is a patchbay what I'm looking for?

And what about the connections to the preamps? This is where I get confused. Am I looking at a wallplate that's connected to the preamps and then their outs connected to the patchbay where I either patch into a compressor, outboard effect, or to the Rosetta or some combination of that chain with the rosetta being last of course? Basically, this is a home/project studio but I want to be able to creatively experiment with the different preamps, sounds, etc.

I haven't necessarily outgrown all of the input connections on the 002 just yet, but I'd like to start planning for the future. I've currently got a Focusrite Voicemaster, FMR Audio RNP, and have my eye on the Seventh Circle Audio stuff where I can customize a nice compact set of preamps in their chassis as I grow. I've also got a PodXT and while I close mic my amps on most of the guitar stuff, it'd be nice to use the Rosetta for conversion on that as well. Is any of this even making sense?

I'm basically looking at mixing down in the box so I'm not so concerned about the outs of the 002 except for headphone monitoring, but I can handle that with my current system.

Any help, advice, etc would be appreciated. Also, if this indeeds involves making my own wallplate, any recommendations on materials, manufacturers would be appreciated. Also, any suggestion on quality Patchbays out there? If I'm just totally confused and I'm missing the boat on the patchbay thing, please let me know.

Thanks.
-Digi002
-ProTools 9
-OS 10.5.x
Old 02-20-2006, 10:31 AM

Default Re: OT-Preamp/Patchbay/ADC Question

Check out this thread:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...ev=#Post960695
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume