Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-26-2003, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Tape Stop effect...

the Vari'Fi plug doesn't really get that speed change effect for me, but it can work. I used Vari'Fi for this purpose in a video to create that "matrix, out of time" feel as a friend of mine jumped off a roof. I slowed down the frame rate using FCP 3 and then added the automation of the Vari'Fi plug to get that sound in there. It worked great to get the point across, but there are lots of things that didn't make it sound like a true slowing down process...........oh well, I guess "SPEED" will do that, but I would rather spend my 400 bucks on another mic or something.

why the hell are 1's and 0's so damn expensive lately? lol
Old 10-27-2003, 12:44 AM

Couple of easy ways to do this.

1. Get a sample , ie do a serch on the net for samples like "tape stop" + samples, and you can just insert it at the point you need it.
or
2. Select the desired area for the stop, using Pitch'n'time or similar select the area and slow it, then select again, this time not as much and slow it again, continue the process until you get the result, this works great.
or
3. have a listen to Metalica's "I dissapear" from MI2 and rip the audio tape stop off it to make your own, fiddle a bit and your done.

You dont need anything but the net, try a free sample search first, there will be alot show up.

Hope this helps,

AJ
Old 10-27-2003, 01:04 AM

Rip the tape stop?!?....but then it has nothing to do with my song. And if I just slow a chunk of audio, it gets longer and doesnt progressively slow like a tape deck would, The track would just suddenly switch from normal to slow!
Old 10-27-2003, 07:46 AM

Still think it's a VST solution
You on OS9 or X ?

If OS9,
the Pluggo PICZER will sort of do it, but the best one is to use the VST Turntablist Pro , fiddle with the Spin Down effect. Send it into PT via MultiVSTshell or Ugly VSTi If you're on OSX, wait till next month for FXPansion's VST-RTAS adapter - or, um, record it on tape and stop the machine! LOL

Old 10-27-2003, 09:40 AM

I'm on OS X. I guess I could get the wrapper for VST's, but that a lot of money to use one plug-in that was free. Its a great plug-in though, maybe Ill just import and export between SX an PT til I get it right....?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:58 AM

Here's an effective, free and easy way.
Pitch shift.
Just highlight vary samll sections of the audio you want to process, and gradually drop the pitch with each following section. This is a little tedious but very effective. The smaller the section you process and the lighter you picthshift the more gradaull the tape stop effect will be. add gain to get a little more of meltdown feel.
Hope that helps.
I used the stock audiosuite pitch shift, for tape stop effects all the time.
Or go to a internet Sound library, like www.sound-effects-library.com or similiar and look for a prefab Tape stop sound and see if you can work with that. It shouldn't be hard to fins something that's a pretty commonly sought after type of effect. That way your only spending a few bucks.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 10-27-2003, 07:29 PM

Wow, I can't imagine doing that much work...I'd save time by doing it in Cubase SX.

As far downloading a sample of tape stop, that won't work. The whole idea is to make it sound like the track is on tape, and stopping not another track stopping...
Old 10-27-2003, 07:51 PM

Here's a free solution:

1. Select the area you want to turn into a tape stop
2. Do a bounce-to-disc to create a mix file of the area
3. Open the file in any VST host program you can get for free (i.e. the demo of Bias Peak www.bias-inc.com, or your old Cubase)
4. Apply your free VST plug. In Peak it would be "Bounce VST"
5. Save the resulting file with a new filename
6. "Import Audio To Track" in PT to add it to your session
7. Position it where you need it and then mute everything else during the effect

7 steps, but it's free!

Good luck,

Jeff D.