Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2014, 11:10 AM

Default control 24 ? go/no-go?

hey guys. i have a fairly lardge home studio, and im looking for a large controller flr my protools 10.

found a control 24 for 8.000DKK. (danish kroners) (5,5$=1dkk)

is that a fair price?

and is it worth buying?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:47 PM

Default Re: control 24 ? go/no-go?

At less than £900 or $1,500 it's very good (just do an eBay search and you'll see offers at twice that). Check if it has had the power supply changed and that all the lights and faders move correctly. I've had mine over 12 years with just the power supply going 6 years ago and a few flickering channel displays, so it will work for several more years.

Sure you know that Avid have killed its use for PT11 but since PT10 does what most of us want, then enjoy the "board".

Cheers
Scotsman
Old 02-26-2014, 12:50 PM

im very facinated by big consoles and hands on mixing. sp i ordered an agrosy desk with fitment for the control 24. ive seen the console live in vegas mode so i know it works.

the psu is the standard internal psu. is that bad?

i mostly do acoustic, pop and bon jovi kinda rock so non of that fancy pt11 features is needed :) plus i rarely use plugins only outboard gear so the dyn. processong isnt a must have :)
Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 PM

Then it is a good deal but the preamps are not great so it's good you have external gear. You will be very dissapointed if you rely on these preamps even though it says Focusrite on them

So yes, if I was still running PT10HD and no aspiration of jumping to PT11HD I would easily pay that price for a good condition Control 24. Just take into account that the console will drop even more within the next year as it won't be updated to work with any more version of PT so just know that before you get it. You will probably not get half of that if you decide to sell in the next year or two.

Regarding the PSU these original ones can crap out and it will be a other 200-300 bucks to replace it and not to mention a real hassle. When our old Control 24 died we had a helluva time exchanging that PSU and it is nothing I wanna go thru Again. Those just die all of a sudden and no telling where and when that happens but it will happen.

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-26-2014, 01:08 PM

thanks for the heads up :) im running an 8 channel neumann 476 clone preamp build by a mate of mine, so i only need the console for controlling protools :)
Old 02-26-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO:SOUND View Post
thanks for the heads up :) im running an 8 channel neumann 476 clone preamp build by a mate of mine, so i only need the console for controlling protools :)
Nice

Well just so you know the limitations you are good to go! It is however a great price as the cheapest I seen here in Stockholm was 17000kr which would be like 12000DKK so go for it Just check that it works properly and try before you buy as you will see directly if all the faders run smooth and don't "chop" when they move, that is a sign of a failing PSU aswell

Best Regards
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 PM

thanks Chris :)