How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2011, 10:34 AM

Default Eleven Rack Expansion Pack

HEy there,
I have a problem with the 11r expansion pack. I bought it in march, installed it and got it working. BUT I had to install a new OS (Mac OS X 10.6.1) AND because of not working PT 8.0.5 updaters I installed a new PT 8.0.1 and in a very curious procedure I finally managed to get a working 8.0.4. So far so good. UNFORTUNATELY in the updating and upgrading confusion I DOWNGRADED my 11r firmware to 1.0.3 (build 0.6.2.0).

When I tried to re-install the newly downloaded 11r expansion pack after entering my (valid) serial and system ID the Avid Eleven Rack Updater tells me this: "You have reached the maximum allowed activations for this serial number".

Does the 11r updater see my new system as a different computer? How can I reinstall my expansion pack?

Please help!

Thanks,
Michael
Old 07-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Pack

The short answer - just call Avid support and they'll set you up with new codes.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:45 AM

right!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 AM

Just so you know, tech support for registration/activation issues is free, other than the long distance charges.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Marvin View Post
right!
I'm not kidding. When you activate, you must have internet connectivity. The activation process contacts servers at Avid, and the serial number\activation code combination becomes marked as used. This system prevents multiple units from being upgraded when only one upgrade has been paid for (warez, serial hacks, file sharing, etc). Since a serial/activation code combination can only be used once, and is tracked by Avid, activation on subsequent attempts is denied.

Avid is aware that sometimes, there are legitimate and non-fraudulent reasons for multiple installations - like OS reinstalls and inadvertent "downgrading" of the firmware. If you call and tell them what happened, they will issue you new codes. And yes, you have to pay for the call.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:56 AM

"Yeah, that's right" is what I meant. Except that support initially wanted to make me BUY a support code (needed to get assistance from the telephone support), but in the end gave it to me free of charge.

After that it was really easy, I called the telephone support and explained what happened - after an hour or so I got an e-mail from support with new serial and system ID so I could upgrade 11r with the expansion pack once more.

So: yes it works and a big "thank you" to avid support. Was easy and fast this time.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 PM

Being the guy who started THIS threat (which was very efficiently hijacked indeed) let me say this to all you 11r-haters:

I have done my share of digidesign/avid-bashing because of their lame support in the past (I am a Pro Tools user for more than 10 years) and an especially bureaucratic case with the famous "not working output to amp jack" - and yeah, I am a smartass too when it comes to demanding good service for a thingy that I bought - but the 11Rack is no fraud.

I bought it because it convinced me. That's basically it. There are certain things that I wished would be different. The same is true for my car. Actually even for my favourite stratocaster which I love playing, because it makes me fight for every note.

I practically owned every amp there is. Actually every amp that is modeled in the basic 11R. A lot of them I sold for various reasons. Search for the "grailtone" mostly, "upgrading" to a new and "cooler" amp - which is part of the game, part of the journey and nessessary for a while. I can still sing praise of my old plexi and I deeply regret selling it a couple of years ago.

BUT: I haven't even switched on any of my amplifiers for recording since I bought the 11R. Maybe I am just lazy, but my point is: If you can`t find a tone in it that works for you, you probably can't play.

If you are on tour, it is not unusual to play through rented equipment and you'll notice that no two marshalls, stratocasters, boogie cabinets, Neumann U87 etc. sound exactly the same. The venues you will be playing in sound different every night even if you have your personal gear with you. And - I don't know if you have ever experienced this - it is especially weird: you set up a sound with (real) gear that is unbelievable. It is the best sound you have ever had and heard and you play for hours and hours because it is just magical. You leave everything untouched, just put down the guitar and come back first thing in the morning. But the sound is completely different...you know what I mean?

The 11R is a very convenient and good sounding piece of gear. Well, at least for me. But that is because I may be an smartass, maybe even an idiot - but I can really play.

Cheers.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 PM

So...is it fixed? I don't even know what happened here. Hey, don't get me wrong, I am bummed that I dropped a hundred bux for an expansion pack I can't use but they'll fix it soon. I will also add, I sold my 11r to get an AFX which I sold within a day to get my 11r back so...I'm not a hater.

It stinks to see a thread de-railed like this since we were probably on the fast track to a resolution.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
It is the best sound you have ever had and heard and you play for hours and hours because it is just magical. You leave everything untouched, just put down the guitar and come back first thing in the morning. But the sound is completely different...you know what I mean?
oh yes - I've been that stoned too...
ASUS P5E Q6600 6GB

Eleven Rack + EXRP
Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Marvin View Post
HEy there,
I have a problem with the 11r expansion pack. I bought it in march, installed it and got it working. BUT I had to install a new OS (Mac OS X 10.6.1) AND because of not working PT 8.0.5 updaters I installed a new PT 8.0.1 and in a very curious procedure I finally managed to get a working 8.0.4. So far so good. UNFORTUNATELY in the updating and upgrading confusion I DOWNGRADED my 11r firmware to 1.0.3 (build 0.6.2.0).

When I tried to re-install the newly downloaded 11r expansion pack after entering my (valid) serial and system ID the Avid Eleven Rack Updater tells me this: "You have reached the maximum allowed activations for this serial number".

Does the 11r updater see my new system as a different computer? How can I reinstall my expansion pack?

Please help!

Thanks,
Michael
Michael...

I'm not sure if you've resolved your issue with this...got lost in all the non-post-applicable opining...but, the solution is what was originally posted: contact Avid. It's the only way to solve this issue. Yes...you'll have to wait on hold for a while and probably explain your situation to a couple people, but it will get solved. I've found the best time to call them is first thing in the morning PST.

When you buy a new Avid product, it is important to register it, as you will receive an email with a complimentary support code. This'll resolve the code issue and get you speaking with someone who can and wants to help you resolve your issue.

On a side note: c'mon guys...most people come here for support from the many of you who've graciously offered your experience and expertise with this and other guitar related product. Nothing's more frustrating than spending the amount of money it cost to get these products, not having answers in front of you, having to search them out on your own on the web and then receiving multiple pages of responses that come nowhere close to helping you out.

On the other hand: this is ALL THINGS GUITAR and AxeFX is guitar related, so discussing it, even praising it is not a crime. It's an opinion on a forum. Just put them where they need to be, not within someone's desperate search for getting their expensive product up and running.

Spank, spank!!! I digress...

BTW: I'm not an Avid rep. and have had my challenges with them; however, the product of theirs I own are some of my favorites and I love using them (when they're working correctly )