Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Default HD1 or HD Native card

I am looking to upgrade my system from PT9 and a Saffire 40 to PT10HD. Instead of buying the HD native package, I am thinking about buying a used HD1 card, a 192 interface (or used omni) and then an upgrade software license to HD10 (some HD1 cards come with PT8HD or 9). I could also buy a accel card at a later date if I choose. Im not really looking to use the TDM but rather a budget way of getting into a HD native system. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM

A HD9 to HD10 software upgrade will cost you near $1k and the HD/TDM hardware will not work with Pro Tools 11 when that ships. And a HD1 system is pretty underpowered, you can easily run out of voices...just doing things like getting to native plugins. Just does not seem a great way from any viewpoint to set yourself up for the future.

Maybe start with exactly why are you looking to upgrade?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 AM

Default Re: HD1 or HD Native card

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccarson View Post
I am looking to upgrade my system from PT9 and a Saffire 40 to PT10HD. Instead of buying the HD native package, I am thinking about buying a used HD1 card, a 192 interface (or used omni) and then an upgrade software license to HD10 (some HD1 cards come with PT8HD or 9). I could also buy a accel card at a later date if I choose. Im not really looking to use the TDM but rather a budget way of getting into a HD native system. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I have a hd2 system with PT10 Im selling. If your interested pm me and Let me know.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
A HD9 to HD10 software upgrade will cost you near $1k and the HD/TDM hardware will not work with Pro Tools 11 when that ships. And a HD1 system is pretty underpowered, you can easily run out of voices...just doing things like getting to native plugins. Just does not seem a great way from any viewpoint to set yourself up for the future.

Maybe start with exactly why are you looking to upgrade?
Right. Future support is the issue here. HD Native will move into the future (PT11 etc.) TDM will not.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 AM

Honestly I dont feel I "need" to upgrade so to speak, LOL. I hate to upgrade because to me it seems I am just paying more for the "new car smell" rather more than anything else. I am just looking at upgrading from PT9 to PT10HD. I do like the fact you can possibly place the entire project in RAM. However, I do not want to pay $2000 for the CPTK. Sure I can do with a non HD system but then I wouldnt be as cool right?

And its my understanding that PT11will not be supported with an HD card but doesnt mean it would not work. I maybe wrong.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM

It's true that the older blue interfaces will not be supported (the 96 and 192), but will probably still work. But the TDM cards will definitely NOT work with PT11, according to everything I've read in this forum.

I've been having issues with the low latency monitoring feature not working properly with my HD-Native card, outlined in this post--

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=334669&page=2

but you might not need that feature....
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM

Pro Tools 11 will *not* work with a HD/TDM card, at the end of the TDM/DSP road is a cliff...

Seems like you are not even sure why you are asking about upgrading, and I suspect you don't really understand what is involved with HD/TDM systems (DSP power, voice counts, PT 11 compatibility, TDM plugin costs/compatibility, etc.). If you just want software features you can try buying a used HD license and use it with your current interface (get PT 10HD or remember its going to cost you $1k to upgrade, if you can at all), or just buy the CPTK--you might find those for sale/used as well. One day Avid may well clamp down on folks who "acquired" PT HD licenses unbundled from any hardware.

Darryl
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM

My primary reason for upgrading was to utilize the Disk Cache features of PT10HD. With an HD1 system, I could use TDM for at least a while, possibly bump it up to an HD2 system and also have a better interface.
When PT11HD comes around, I could simply sell the HD system or possibly do a trade for an HD native (or HDX) system. Heck I could just use the software with other hardware. Hopefully I have made my thought process clear.
And just a quick note as a point of reference. Ive been around since reel to reel, to ADAT to the first mix system that I beleived worked on a pentium 2 with 16mb of ram. Heck I used Cubase on an Atari for sequencing. Ive learned over the years. Most of the time upgrading isnt needed unless there is a feature that will make your workflow faster/better and/or the quality increases exponentially and/or your creativity is enhanced and in turn it can make better music and more money. After all for some of us this is a business. I really do appreciate all those who have taken the time to respond. Just trying to get some professional opinions from real PT users, not salesman.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 AM

I don't have PTHD but I also want the additional features of PT without buying the expensive CPTK. It's never made sense to me that these additional features require the CPTK or the purchase of Avid hardware when I have software that does this is the current/only release of their software. I've grown to appreciate the workflow of ProTools and therefor accept these limitations and have created work-arounds to get what I need.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM

Unfortunately you can want all you want, Avid is pricing those features in to CPTK for what they think they are worth. If you acquire a HD license Avid's model at least with Pro Tools 10 was to hit you up for a steep upgrade price--which might have done them some harm. Who knows what Pro Tools 11 HD upgrade pricing will look like. and again Avid could get strict about enforcing its no unbundling term in its license agreement to block upgrades etc.