Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 AM

Default Re: PT won't relink audio despite me seeing the files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
PT10.3.8, OSX 10.8.5. I have a couple of projects recently completed. For a few files in a couple of projects, when a session is moved to another drive, auto-relink does not work. Relink manually using name only works. Project and workspace browsers show blank unique IDs for those files. The original files in the original locations also appear with blank unique IDs.

In all cases, these files are mix and stem outputs that were created and punched in using destructive punch mode.

I recently moved from 10.3.5, OSX10.6.8, and have not found any blank IDs from those sessions.
Yes also having this problem going from PT10.3.2 in editing to 10.3.7 on the stage. Some files refuse to relink by name or otherwise. This was not happening until the stage went to 10.3.7.
Also noticed that some processing (eg RX) will strip out the Unique ID. There should be some way to stamp Unique IDs.
This is becoming a real PITA.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viaspiaggia View Post
no idea! I see the file in the browser above but it refuses to put it in the candidates panel below!
You know if you select only on offline file and drag the file you know it is into the candidates window, you can make pt relink to it, no matter what. Pt will warn you if some of the re linking criteria isn't correct but you can still make pt do it.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 03-19-2014, 01:40 PM

Can't believe I never tried dragging, will give this a try next time I hit this error! I guess you have to search for candidates one at a time then to distinguish what you're linking to, right?
Atmos 7.1.2
hugmonstersound.com / unheardof.world
Old 03-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Anyone had this problem yet....

I am constantly taking files from editors and adding them to my session as a show is in progress. for example SFX files.

I am fanatic about "Force to file session Format" being selected when I import files.

Now my session setup I work with AIFFS. However some SFX editors work with multiple formats because they don't pay attention to detail. or there going so fast and don't notice.

When I import their SFX most files import fine. However IF I come across a .wav file of files. They can not locate them and import. (The files are in their session Audio files folder) Its very annoying considering I have force to session format selected.

I have to usually if its only a few files Locate those and manual copy them into my session audio files folder. Or have to redo the whole import and just leave it on "Copy files on import" and have my audio files folder with mixed .wav and .aiff files. both ways i'm not happy about.

I dont know what causes it yet. but it is coming up more than a few times now. and its annoying

One thing I havent checked and it should't make a difference. Is to make sure "copy files on import" is selected in the preferences before i import. Perhaps that may make sure it converts and copies the file properly.

but you'd think saying force to target session would take care of all that.

kd
Old 03-23-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
You know if you select only on offline file and drag the file you know it is into the candidates window, you can make pt relink to it, no matter what. Pt will warn you if some of the re linking criteria isn't correct but you can still make pt do it.

I had no idea you could do this. when you say select an "offline file" do you mean from the desktop or drive. Or do you mean from within the pro tools browser window. Then drag it into canadates window?

thanks in advance
Old 03-23-2014, 01:02 PM

In the relink window of PT
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Came over and do this to the 1172 files Protools won't relink please
Old 09-21-2015, 04:46 AM

Sorry for bringing up this old thread but... I found a solution for this annoying bug, so maybe somebody in need will find this helpful.

I received a session with mixed .wav and .mxf files, exported from PT11.3.2 with "save copy as" for PT9.0.6 - with no conversion apparently...

Imported, all .wav files are online, 1217 audio files offline. Project browser sees them as .wav, however they are in .mxf containers in "Audio Files".

It is very inconvenient to go back to the PT11 station, as it's in a different country and the 22 Gb transfer took some time.

Manually relinking the files, one by one, works, but to do this for 1217 files?!

So after a few hours, I came to a solution:

1 Create a new session in the bit rate and sample rate of the original MXF's.
2 Import the .mxf files via "Import Audio", and in this window, do NOT choose "convert", instead choose "Add"
3 Save a copy of the session via "Save session as", format "latest", tick "copy all files" and choose the "wav" format
4 Re-open original session which wouldn't relink
5 When given the warning for offline files, select "Manually relink", by Name, Match Duration, uncheck all other drives and folders, browse to the session copy you saved, and check only the "Audio Files" folder there.
6 Click "Find Links" at the top
7 Party.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:34 PM

brilliant!
Atmos 7.1.2
hugmonstersound.com / unheardof.world
Old 09-22-2015, 10:08 AM

One thing that help me about this relink problem.

Is creating a Catalog from workspace of that session of that folder.

Don't ask me why, but it did work for me.

:/

Regards,

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro