Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2014, 05:00 PM

Default Separate Selection ...

How do I Separate a selection of a clip? In other words - split the clip at the head and the tail of the selection.

Right now if I try doing this using the Separate command - PT 11 Immediately crashes.

thx.

-paul.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Separate Selection ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfigg View Post
How do I Separate a selection of a clip? In other words - split the clip at the head and the tail of the selection.

Right now if I try doing this using the Separate command - PT 11 Immediately crashes.

thx.

-paul.
You're doing it the way I normally do; make a selection and select the separate command by right clicking on the selection you just made. However you don't give us anywheres near enough info to answer why PT is crashing. You know, basic stuff like system specs (computer, operating system, amount of ram, drives, etc.). A Sandra report if you're on Windows or crashlog if you're on a Mac and OSX. And more involved stuff like size of session, plugins used, etc.

In other words - please read and follow the 'help us to help you' link that's at the op of every page here. We ask for this stuff because we are not mind readers or remote viewers and can't see what's on your system without you telling us.

QAPLA!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
In other words - please read and follow the 'help us to help you' link that's at the op of every page here. We ask for this stuff because we are not mind readers or remote viewers and can't see what's on your system without you telling us.
Please, dude. spare me the life lesson. Maybe you should consider that sometimes we are in the middle of something and may need a quick bit of advice for a quick fix from someone who may have experienced a similar issue. I said that I was running PT 11, right? In any case - point taken.

If anyone is experiencing a similar issue - turning on the "Auto-Name Separated Clips" in the Edit Preferences solved the problem here.

-paul.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:51 AM

actually, jacks post was spot on.
the way your post reads,
the prob isn't separating regions,
it was why pt was crashing.
e
Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfigg View Post
Please, dude. spare me the life lesson. Maybe you should consider that sometimes we are in the middle of something and may need a quick bit of advice for a quick fix from someone who may have experienced a similar issue. I said that I was running PT 11, right? In any case - point taken.

If anyone is experiencing a similar issue - turning on the "Auto-Name Separated Clips" in the Edit Preferences solved the problem here.

-paul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
actually, jacks post was spot on.
the way your post reads,
the prob isn't separating regions,
it was why pt was crashing.
e
Exactly.

ptfigg you now say you wanted a quick answer but you didn't give enough info to do that which caused a back-and-forth that could have been avoided. Sometimes there are things that cause problems that aren't apparent. And that's compounded by what is really your problem you were trying to have fixed - was it really PT crashing or something else because what you say in your reply to me won't help keep PT from crashing. Can't give an answer if we don't have an accurate description of what the problem really is/was. If you call asking for full info on what your system is etc. trying to give you a life lesson then it's one maybe you maybe should pay attention to.

QAPLA!