Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2020, 02:26 PM

Default Kontakt 6 on ProTools - Orchestral Composition

I'm moving into more orchestral compositions, and I've been struggling to get past session creation with Kontakt 6 and ProTools 2020. I've tried creating templates for either with a low-instance/high-multi model, and also a high-stance/single-instrument model, but no matter what I do, I seem to run into some pretty hard limits with Kontakt hanging while loading samples.

I'm working with the Spitfire libraries, which I love. With a complete orchestra of strings, woodwinds, and brass, which is around 3 dozen instruments spread across 3 multis/instances, I'm finding that Kontakt is just unable to load them all.

After spending the better part of the day doing the workaround where you create the Multi in another DAW in order to avoid the output channel creation bug that plagues Kontakt on ProTools, I'm finding that I'm still stumped, and just looking at a pinwheel all the time. My machine should be able to handle these kinds of sessions. It's a recent 32GB MacBook Pro running Catalina. My Kontakt samples are on an SSD over USB3.

I'm just wondering if this is just a waste of time. Is anyone using ProTools for orchestral composition using Kontakt, or should I just move on to another DAW?

If you are using ProTools, how are you doing it? How many instruments are you loading? Do you have lots of Kontakt instances with fewer instruments in them, or do you have fewer instances (or even one), that have bigger Multis? Are there any other settings or tips you have on getting it all to work?

Thanks