Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-21-2010, 02:44 AM

Default How to connect Really Nice Compressor to Mbox Pro

I have decided to try out some outboard gear (have previously been using vsts only) so upon reading a bit of research found that the “Really Nice Compressor” seemed to be well thought of and relatively affordable. I have recently also purchased one of the new Avid Mbox Pros as I got a deal on it.

I tried to connect the RNC by having an output from the Mbox Pro going to one of its inputs and then sending the output to one of the Mbox pros inputs. In Abelton Live (my DAW for composing although I use Pro Tools for mixing) I set the various i/o as seemed correct but no sound (evident by the gain reduction meter not moving) seemed to be going into the RNC and therefore noting was routing back in.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 AM

Default Re: How to connect Really Nice Compressor to Mbox Pro

If it's the new Mbox 3 Pro, you would want to use the inserts out to your compressor. Unfortunately, I've looked at the manual and it's not clear to me how to do this. I'm not sure where the insert returns into (line inputs?).
Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 AM

It is indeed the Mbox 3 - I will try as you suggest i.e. use the inserts and then try routing back into the inputs and see if there is any joy there
Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 AM

Yes, use the insert jacks and the routing is all done for you(selecting input 1 in your session will record with compression, if the RNC is inserted on input 1).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 PM

Do you have the correct cable to hook this up?

I'm pretty sure the rnc uses trs to both send and return on the same jack.

If your interface doesn't have this type of connectivity then you would need an insert cable. Looks like a stereo to dual mono y cable.

If both devices do support trs send and receive make sure they're compatible, I.e both using tip to send, ring to return or vice versa.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2010, 01:29 AM

Great - thank you!

I may not get a chance to try this side of Xmas. Albee 1952 would the same principle apply if I am taking digital audio and compressing it? What I mean is that I am not recording instruments I write electronic music and thought I would start dabbling in hardware compression/eq to see if I can add some warmth to my tracks
Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 AM

So it sounds like you're talking about sounds that are already recorded (like synths, etc.) and running them out into a compressor to enhance or warm up the sound?

If that's the case, I would say it probably wouldn't be worth doing, for a couple of reasons:

1. The main way to do this is to use a really high end vintage compressor that adds it's own character. The RNC is not that type of compressor, so I don't think it will add anything.

2. The second reason is that you would be doing an unnecessary D/A and A/D conversion, which may cause you to slightly lose some quality.

For what you're trying to do, you'd be better off using some plugins that imitate this type of feature, and there are plenty out there. Some imitate the sound of recording to tape, or going through tubes, or certain mixing consoles. These would include Slate Virtual Console Collection, Mellowmuse SATV, Nomad Factory Magnetic, McDsp analog channel, and more.

Then there are also compressor and eq plugins designed to imitate classic vintage equipment. There are some nice ones by Waves, including the CLA classic compressors, API, Vintage Series, SSL bundle, Puigtec, as well as ones by other manufacturers.