Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2003, 05:08 AM

Default So who has the new LE DVD?

I just got mine and its corny but I did learn a few things I look forward to going to PT 6.0 in a few months.

Wiz
Old 04-03-2003, 09:45 AM

Default Re: So who has the new LE DVD?

I just got my whole system last week at the same time the DVD arrived by mail. While it is VERY corny, it also helped me get started. Frankly it was better than manual, which is not made for dummies like me. Thanks DIGI.

Keep Making the MUSIC
Old 04-03-2003, 09:50 AM

Yeah I got agree that it might have been the cheasiest thing ive ever seen but it has some very helpfull tips, definatly worth viewing
Old 04-03-2003, 02:48 PM

It's funny because the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread topic was "corny", in reference to the DVD. Most home studio Pro Tools DVD's are corn to the max. I remember the 001 DVD - there was something very special and secret going on between those two guys... (totally joking).

The new features DVD was not at all cheeze. Neither was the HD DVD.

I wonder why us budget users are subjected to the corniness? Is this some market research strategy?!? HAHAHA

All in all though, there is some great, useful product info hidden deep (very deep) underneath the fromage.

TSM
Old 04-03-2003, 03:47 PM

Yeah, I found it a bit embarrasing. It seems like a demo video for a digidesign product would be really easly to do. There are so many celebrities and pros who use it. Couldn't they just interview some of those people and have them give out the useful tips?

As it is, it made me feel like I was using a gimiky product.

I guess I should just respect them for trying something differant.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:57 PM

I got it two weeks ago and though 'well, they've put in some effort, but Bill and Ted's Crazy 001 Adventure video was better'.

While they are corny, I think the point Digi try to make with the LE DVDs is their gear can be used to get a professional sound in completely non-professional situations. In the latest DVD the 'Salvation' song is tracked in 2 different living rooms plus the drummer's spare room...none of these are really studios as such. Things like DigiDelivery are integrated well into the story to get around the fact they've got 2 days and no money to get the bugger recorded and their DJ is in LA and their bassist/vocalist won't play during the day.

So in a way it's all very clever by putting everything into a very real context, the problem is that establishing storylines takes time and has very little to do with ProTools or its use. With the 001 video there was very little of what - hey, I'm gettin' some mates over and we're recordin' a song in my living room - checkit!' and then it's straight into the gear and software. Things like who does the A&R girl wanna get with kinda detracts from the point.

Personally I thought the HD DVD, with the likes of Steve Vai, Michael Bradford and that Herbie guy demonstrating their favourite bits works really well. Surely there are enough working musos with LE systems who could lend their 2 cents.