Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2002, 01:42 PM

Default Mp3 option - quick question

I wanted to know more about this option so I checked it out on the download page, but all the different choices make it confusing.
I though I'd found what I needed but after the download completed, it seemed to be an upgrade for those who had already purchased the option some time ago.

So, I would be interested in having the import AND export Mp3 option for PT (I'm runnung 5.1.1), can someone direct me to the actual full dowlnoad? I'm aware that I have to pay for that, I believe it's something like $20-$30 or so?

Thanks so much...
Old 12-14-2002, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Mp3 option - quick question

iTunes will do the same thing for free.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:54 PM

I found what I was looking for at the DigiStore, cool.
Where, yes I realise iTunes will convert my wav/aiff to an mp3 for free, but being able to import an mp3 file directly into PT can sometimes be beneficial (it would be for me when collaborating with certain people long-distance).
I'm more interested in the 'import' mp3 than the export, hence my interest in the option.

hope that was helpful.

p.s. forgive yet another Mac newbie question but, what does Toast do that iTumes doesn't?
I'm contemplating getting that Toast with Jam package and besides the RedBook Audio burning (which is very cool), I can't isolate the advantages of Toast over iTunes. Can someone turn the light on for me?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2002, 04:43 PM

for one, iTunes won't burn a data cd, Toast will.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:53 PM

AS far as data cd's can't you just put the CD in and drag the files you want to burn on to the Icon and use "disc burner"?

Just a thought
Peace
NoteFarm
Old 12-14-2002, 04:53 PM

Toast will let you burn DVD's as well. Don't think iTunes can handle this.
San Diego, CA
Old 12-14-2002, 04:55 PM

AS far as data cd's can't you just put the CD in and drag the files you want to burn on to the Icon and use "disc burner"?

Just a thought
Peace
NoteFarm
Old 12-14-2002, 05:07 PM

Toast can also write in ISSO 9660 format CDs for PeeCees, it can make Video CDs and allow you to create and mount disc images, plus quite a few other formats. Toast is awesome, and Jam is a nice addition to the package.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pk_hat:
I found what I was looking for at the DigiStore, cool.
Where, yes I realise iTunes will convert my wav/aiff to an mp3 for free, but being able to import an mp3 file directly into PT can sometimes be beneficial (it would be for me when collaborating with certain people long-distance).
I'm more interested in the 'import' mp3 than the export, hence my interest in the option.

hope that was helpful.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So your using MP3's To work on long distance projects in PT because of the smaller file size?

Doesnt the quality, or lack there of, become an issue when using this file format? Maybe your completely aware of this, maybe not, but I couldnt imagine using an MP3 in a session unless it was for a bit part (ie. sample, effect, etc.)

Hows that working out?

Oh, it just occurred to me that maybe your sending Aif/Wav files with the MP3 to be synced with the real session files later.?.?
Old 12-15-2002, 12:51 AM

Severe,

yes I know about the difference in quality between a wav/aiff and an mp3 and indeed, it it comes down to the file size for sending ideas back and forth.
It can later be worked on as a standard wav or what have you. I used to do this in Acid when I was on a pc, so now I'm glad that PT offers it, as I'm trying to contain all my work between no more than 2 apps, that being Reason and PT (getting Stylus next week [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

One more thing, you'd be surprised at how good a well encoded mp3 can sound, and if it's going for tv or radio broadcast, it really doesn't matter at that point.