Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2016, 09:50 AM

Default SourceNexus plugin allows system sound output thru PT interface while PT is running

Moving from the Mbox Pro to HD Native I was surprised to find that I couldn't get system sound output through the interface if Pro Tools was running. For those in my shoes, check out Source-Nexus. It allows you to not only have system sounds output (iTunes, browser, whatever is playing on your computer) through Pro Tools but also record that audio to a track. So if, for example, you have a video and want to sample part of the dialog of a scene, this allows you to do so with ease.

Set up is super easy:
  1. Download and install the app (try the demo before you buy to make sure it works for you)
  2. After it's installed, select "Source-Nexus" as your system Output Device
  3. In Pro Tools create a stereo track
  4. On that stereo track insert the multichannel plug-in "Source-Nexus Basic AAX" under the Other category of plug-ins
  5. Open the Source-Nexus plug-in and switch "Send" to "Receive"
And there ya go. All system audio will be received through the plugin and output through Pro Tools/your monitors.

If you want to record the incoming signal you'd simply set the Output of the track the plugin is on to Bus 29-30, for example, then make a new stereo track and set the Input to Bus 29-30. Now you can record the incoming signal.

Note: I downloaded the Basic version so if you downloaded the Pro version the name of the plugin in your folder and other minor things may be different.
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 12-12-2016, 02:42 PM

Default Re: SourceNexus plugin allows system sound output thru PT interface while PT is runni

Are you saying you can so this with the free version? Or is there a Basic paid version?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:01 PM

Default Re: SourceNexus plugin allows system sound output thru PT interface while PT is runni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Are you saying you can so this with the free version? Or is there a Basic paid version?
Unfortunately no, the free version is just the audio driver. The Basic version is $125 while the Pro version is $295. The Pro version includes "
  • Dual drivers for audio separation
  • Up to 24-channels
  • Support for Source-Connect Pro X (Surround)
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 12-12-2016, 04:17 PM

I really like source-nexus pro. It took me a while to decide to invest on this plugin but I think it is totally worth it.
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 12-13-2016, 06:09 AM

I tried this a couple yrs ago, but unfortunately the install totally sacked out my system. Had to jump thru hoops to get things back to normal. So maybe they've improved functionality?
I've been running system audio out the mac digital output and back into my 192 via digital input. Then set up an aux to receive that input channel. Not sure if this plugin would be easier/better than going that route?
Old 12-13-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmprod View Post
I tried this a couple yrs ago, but unfortunately the install totally sacked out my system. Had to jump thru hoops to get things back to normal. So maybe they've improved functionality?

I've been running system audio out the mac digital output and back into my 192 via digital input. Then set up an aux to receive that input channel. Not sure if this plugin would be easier/better than going that route?

That is actually less steps than this, so I would say that way is better. I needed a solution for MacBook Pros that no longer have digital out though, so this was the best choice. If I had digital out I'd go your route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2016, 08:21 AM

Just demoed this with source-connect now to play mixes in real time for a client in LA.

Gotta say it worked flawlessly.

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 12-13-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmprod View Post
Your light pipe way is cleanest. It is better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2016, 01:25 AM

Default SourceNexus plugin allows system sound output thru PT interface while PT is running

Different, not better. I use both. Light pipe to Omni for system sounds, but Nexus Pro for screen captures, Source Live Pro or Source Connect Pro X i.e. Routing around duties to or from software - especially from PT

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com