Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2014, 11:24 AM

Default Re: RTAS to AAX Wrapper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
What caught my eye with this baby is VST3 supported. If that's the case, then I might be able to use it to host my Yamaha Motif XS Editor program which would allow me to essentially have my Motif XS8 as one giant VI and edit and select sounds on the fly to get what I want without having to page through the edit screens on the Motif or go back and forth between the editor program and PT. If this works, I'll be amazed!
Let us know how the demo works for you, DonaldM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
BlueCat Patchwork … i am doing the demo and it is much nicer IMHO .. 79.00
@john1192 -- do you know if that hosts VST3 as DonaldM mentioned? It's not listed on the main product page (maybe elsewhere?)... also didn't notice VST3 in Magma's product feature listing, but that doesn't mean it's not supported I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Which plug-ins do you own that don't offer a free or cheap AAX upgrade?
For me, the one Plug-in I really want in AAX (and why I'm looking for a "wrapper") is the Sonalksis Creative Filter. It has some musical features I haven't found in any other filter. It does exactly what the description says it does: https://www.sonalksis.com/creative_filter.htm

I wrote Sonalksis about moving this to AAX and they replied very politely about evaluating the AAX option but the investment might not be worth the return, as we can all understand.

The List

So here's a current list of options to demo for "wrapper" type solutions under $120 (AFAICT) so far:

It sounds like Blue Cat's Patchwork is winning the popularity vote on this forum.

If anybody has more success stories (or issues) with the above "wrapper" solutions it might be interesting to hear them.

And if you already own the below, or want to spend money on "something that can host VST/AU within ProTools, plus more included" these seem to be the top contenders right now:
  • http://www.reaper.fm/index.php ($60 - Although this is an entire DAW to ReWire... not a "wrapper" and EDIT: You can only ReWire INSTRUMENTS, Not effects plugins. So, no sending audio to and from Reaper. You can send MIDI into Reaper and get audio back from Reaper into PT)

These represent 8 options to run VST / AU in AAX (or to ReWire Reaper) in ProTools 11. Four options are under $100 right now.

memesounds.com

Last edited by spur; 08-11-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added more quotes to keep the conversation flowing
Old 08-11-2014, 12:00 PM

Plogue bidule was a mess for me but I believe they have a demo. I tried it back before metaplugin and patchworks were released. It crashed a lot from what I recall.

Reaper you can only use to rewire INSTRUMENTS, Not effects plugins. (no sending audio to and from reaper (only midi into reaper and audio back from reaper)

Heard nothing but good things about VEP but obviously much more $$$

not much experience with the others.

I believe I demoed nomad magma but didn't get too into it at the time. Maybe someone else can chime in about it and the others.

But I bet you'll get patchworks, it just works great. You know you can also use blue cats mb7 to host vst and au plus more but it's also more expensive.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:58 PM

FYI :

DDMF Metaplug-in is currently available at a considerable discount, over at Pro Tools Expert.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinghits View Post
Does Avid realize that this is the beginning of the end for ProTools?
The thing that makes this so laughable is; Amateurs have been predicting this for a long long time and the only 'end' that arrived was their own presence on this forum.

Everything & everyone just moved on ahead anyway.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 08-11-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
The thing that makes this so laughable is; Amateurs have been predicting this for a long long time and the only 'end' that arrived was their own presence on this forum.

Everything & everyone just moved on ahead anyway.
Right. This is by no means the end of ProTools. That's laughable.

99% of the plugins I care about have already been upgraded to AAX. There's really just 1 good plugin that I'd like to use in PT11, if possible.

Demoing Blue Cat's Patchwork now. The automation (non-MIDI) was eluding me at first, but I think I've got it now. And apparently I'd been using a 32-bit license for the Sonalksis Creative Filter so I just gave them $30 to upgrade to a 64-bit license... which isn't working yet for some reason.

That said, this Blue Cat Patchwork seems to be doing everything everyone said it could. It does far more than I need, in fact.

memesounds.com
Old 08-11-2014, 08:10 PM

Thanks for reminding me of BC Patchwork, been meaning to give it a try.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 PM

Well, I've tried a couple of the ones mentioned here and settled on VEPro 5, it is absolutely rock solid, NEVER had a crash! The other thing to keep in mind - and it may not be an issue for most - is that most of the "wrappers" will only support 64 bit plugs natively, so if you need to get any old 32 bit plugs working in PT 11 you'll need to "pre Wrap" them using another utility before hand... gets a tad messy and has proven - for me at least - quite unstable.

Again, BIG thumbs up for VEPro 5, bit pricey, but it works for both 32 & 64 bit plugs.