Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-1999, 11:13 AM

Default Re: What write speed?

I did a test burning at 2x and 4x on a Plector using Jam. The 2x failed the BLER tests and the 4x passed. The new MLCD manual suggests higher speeds.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-15-99).]
Old 01-18-1999, 03:52 PM
Avid

Default Re: What write speed?

My two cents? thanks for asking...

In the early days of Masterlist CD and CD writing, write speeds were more of an issue of system/CPU limitations. Now that CPU's are faster the risk of burning a coaster is much less regardless of write speed, not to mention that MLCD now supports any write speed that the burner is capable of. This was not always the case.

This subject has been a topic of debate since the beginning of CD writing.

I have seen arguments that say the sound quality is going to be better or worse by writing at particular write speeds. However, when it comes down to the acid test, your ears, I've not talked to anyone, including myself, that can tell the difference between a 1x, 2x or 4x written disc. At the same time, I have not ever heard of any duplication facility rejecting a disc based on write speed alone.

Evidence that does support the use of some write speeds over others would be the BLER error rates. However, the difference is so nominal that I, personally, feel that it is not worth it to worry about it (then again I've been blasted here on the DUC before..go ahead bring it on).

BLER or Block Error rate refers to a particulaer type of error written to disk during the writing process. These are not the infamous and fatal E32 errors that you may be familiar with. By the way, there are many types of errors associated with disc writing. The basic difference between them is there level of severity. Many, if not most, are recoverable by a CD player's error correction schemes. Some are not recoverable, such is the case with E32 errors. If your disk contains E32's you've most likely got other problems far beyond your choice of write speeds. (Another cause of E32s can be CD writing applications that support multisession writes, the problem occurs where one session stops and another starts. Most duplication facilities can get around this particular E32 situation, so I'm told.).

The point of all this? Use the write speed that works for best for you and refer to the Macarena quote earlier in this email string.

thanks,

Jon Connolly