Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 05-29-1998, 03:59 PM

Default Re: MasterList & in car CD players

I'm shooting in the dark a bit here but I would assume that certain manufacturers of in car CD players get up to various tricks to achive playback in this almost impossible environment and as factory produced CD's are produced to very fine tolerences it is most likley that the in car CD players will play 99.9% of commercialy produced CD's.

However it is possible that some of the tricks that are used in in-car players (Sony) may be more sensitive to missalignment in CDR recorders than other playback systems.

In the case of type of media, Different types have different reflectivity, and some CD players have different threasholds at which they fail to read, on top of this factors such as age wear and dirt on the lens can affect this threashold, giving different results here too!

Another tricky subject!!!
Old 06-03-1998, 06:29 AM

I recently burned about 25 CDs for a client using my JVC-2010 burner and MLCD. The next day the client was calling me and saying that none of the CDs worked on his CD player (this after I had test-played each one on a top of the line Sony CD Juke, a 10 year old JVC jam box, and my Alpine car CD player). It turned out that the CD's didn't work on the clients 2 different Sony Car CD Players, both of which had an "Anti-skip" feature. When the client turned this feature off, the CD's played fine. I don't know what the anti-skip feature does exactly (though my assumption is that it just buffers data), but apparently it is a BAD THING when playing CDRs.
Old 06-24-1998, 02:29 PM

What about the D/A converters in the car CD players... could this be a problem?
Old 06-24-1998, 06:23 PM

AntiSkip

I belive Sony calls it ESP

Electronic Shock Protection

It's just a Buffer before the DA

I belive the buffer is fairly large

A minute or more maybe.

I belive that ST. Croix durring the early

CD-R days mention Sonys not working right

Even the home Carousel 5 disk

Old 06-24-1998, 08:19 PM
Jim Clark

After experimenting with many brands I have found that for my recorder (Ricoh 1420C) the best media for my car player is MTC(Mitsui). Not surprisingly, this is the only gold backed CD recommended fot this burner. My Sony car player does read these disks, although they are prone to skip occasionally. So, consult your recommended CD list, burn and pray...