Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Default Pro Tools HD|Native - Piece by Piece Purchase Approach?

Hi folks.

A bit of a fiddly question here.

I'm new here and am about to change to Pro Tools HD|Native and also intend getting an Avid HD I/O 16x16 Analogue and a C24 eventually.

These afore-mentioned things will be purchased over time. I'm about to buy the Native PCIe core card in two weeks. I will not be able to afford the HD I/O 16x16 until around Christmas or very early in the New Year. My question at this point is:

When I buy the Native PCIe core card, can I choose, for the time being, to solely use the bundled Pro Tools 9 HD|Native software (without PCIe core card) in standalone basic Native mode (96 Track count) with my RME MultifaceII until I can afford the I/O 16x16?

Incidentally, my question isn't interface related (just in case you interpret it as such). I am aware that the RME MultifaceII "should work" with PT9.

Is my piece by piece approach dooable? If so will PT9 automatically limit me to 96 tracks to begin with and then automatically grant me the ful HD amount of facilities once I install the PCIe core card later?

Or....should I just install the (initially unused) PCIe core card to begin with and use my MultifaceII independently of it? Will there be any registration issues later using the software in standalone Native mode?

Thanks and sorry if this is confusing.

W.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools HD|Native - Piece by Piece Purchase Approach?

You can use the PT HD 9 software that comes with the HD Native core with the RME interface. You will get all 192 tracks, but not the I/O performance and extra features like track input mode and destructive punch until you install the core card and attach an Avid HD interface (ie. HD I/O 16x16). I would not install the card until you have an interface to attach to it.

Gil
Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimidi View Post
You can use the PT HD 9 software that comes with the HD Native core with the RME interface. You will get all 192 tracks, but not the I/O performance and extra features like track input mode and destructive punch until you install the core card and attach an Avid HD interface (ie. HD I/O 16x16). I would not install the card until you have an interface to attach to it.

Gil
Thank you Gil that clears that up nicely.

This will enable me to get stuck into Pro Tools in a couple of weeks time rather than having to wait until I have my Avid HD interface.

Can I ask. In relation to registration and the iLok USB Stick. Will I require the iLok during the period of time I'm using my RME MultifaceII, without the PCIe core card?

Also, my DAW is not internet enabled. Am I able to use my general purpose internet enabled PC to complete registrations and transfer my iLok authorisation to my DAW? This is perhaps a silly question due to just having watched a video on your website featuring people conveniently using their licence on laptops when on the move. I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks Gil

W.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Avid

You will need to have the ilok connected for Pro Tools to operate. You can register it and set it up on a different system, but it will need to be reconnected to your Pro Tools computer to launch. The Pro Tools computer does not need to be connected to the internet.

Gil
Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 PM

I've done the exact same thing you're doing, where I got the Native card and software, but will be getting an interface later.

I've been using HD9 software on my Imac with a 003R and with the Imac built in speakers and it's been working great. You should be able to do the same thing with your RME.

Having the HD 9 software installed will give you the equivalent of "regular" PT 9 and the Complete Production Toolkit 2.

Here's a few pointers for what you'll need to do:

The HD Native Core Card will most likely come with discs for HD 8. Just put these aside as you won't need them.

You will have yellow cards with activation codes, one for the hardware (the core card) and one for the software. As soon as you register both of them, in your Avid account, you will have the full installers for HD 9, as well as any updates.

Also, an Ilok license for HD 9 will be sent to your Ilok account.

On the computer that's connected to the internet, you can download the HD 9 installer and the installer for any updates. Select the right one for Mac or Windows (keep in mind if your internet computer is Windows, but your Protools computer is Mac, then you want to download the Mac installer).

After it's downloaded, burn a copy of the installer and any updates to a blank DVD-Rom. You can then use that disc to install Protools on whatever computer(s) you want.

As for you Ilok, use the internet computer to download the license to your Ilok.

With both of these things, you're good to go. As mentioned, Protools needs the Ilok plugged in to run the software, even if you're just using a laptop with built in speakers.

Now you can use your RME or any compatible interface with the software.

As was mentioned, you're better off not installing the card until you're ready to use it with an HD interface.

One other thing to mention: The HD Native box comes with a brand new Ilok v.2. You're not required to use that, but there's no reason not to. I recommend using that as your main Ilok, and transferring all your other licenses to it. Then you can use your old Ilok for demo licenses, etc.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Another option for "on the cheap" entry; buy a used 96IO for $500 and dive right into the Native setup. Upgrade the interface when you can afford it. Most 96IO's have a lightpipe input so you can bypass the converters(which sound much the same as the 003 units)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Gil. Much appreciated.

Nst7....you just answered every other question I had and lots more. Outstanding my friend. Your advice is much appreciated.

My only potential issue is that I won't be able to test my PCIe core card unti I get the HD I/O 16x16 around 3 months later. Will it still be under warranty then?

Also, are the HD I/O 16x16s voltage switchable, or do they come in the voltage specific to the country of purchase?

Thanks Albee1952....I guess your suggestion would give me piece of mind regarding my initially inactive PCIe core card. However, finding a 96 I/O cheap enough to make it worth the while isn't looking dooble. It may just prevent me from getting the HD I/O 16x16 as fast as I would otherwise as I have well planned credit card maxing plans which don't really allow for including an additional purchase into the mix. It's a good idea though. I'll keep scanning evilBay just in case.

Thanks

W.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM

From the HD I/O manual:

AC Power
This connector accepts a standard AC power cable.
HD I/O is auto power-selecting (100V to
240V) and will automatically work with a standard
modular cable (IEC) to connect to AC

power outlets in any country.

Hope this helps,
Greg

Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 08-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Thanks for that Greg

I can't believe I missed that. I read some manuals last night. It must have been late when I read the HD I/O one.

Cheers

Stewart