Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 12-01-2014, 03:03 PM

Default Audio interfaces

I'm upgrading my whole setup, new computer, new interface, etc. I was lookin at the Foscurite Saffire interfaces.. on their website it says the preamps are the best in it's class. What class would that be? Or is it just a marketing gimmick? Either way, what would be the next "class" up from that and how much more would it run me? What should I be looking for in the specs to figure out which will outperform the other? I don't want/need something from Foscurite, it's just that the unit seems good for the price.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 12-01-2014, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Audio interfaces

Hey Adam

I "Know" it's just gibberish! Same with Rφde mics, They actually say in their utube videos that the NT1 is The best mic IN THE world

They obviously never heard a C800G thru a Avalon 747 or Calrec UA8000 haha

Seriously though, don't fall for that even though several members here will say get a Focusrite. Yes they sound really GOOD but if I was upgrading in that price range I wouldn't hesitate a second and get the UA Twin Duo or Solo with Unison technology.

You can use their API/UA 610/Neve Channel strip and 1073 directly on the input and record with one of them sounding as close to the original outboard gear you will ever come. All their interfaces have DSP for running UA plugins and with that low low latency you can either put their plugins directly on the track for monitoring or put a 1176 and an LA2 on the channel in their Console that works great in PT and record with them directly into PT. You can add them after a Preamp of choice on the input channel (Unison technology) and make the whole thing sound EXTREMELY close to the original out oard gear costing 100 times more.

Imagine the API channelstrip (we use it very often) for $199 right now and record vocals and guitars etc sounding like a real API desk or their most expensive outboards... "SOLD"!

Look at them here:

www.uaudio.com and marvel over the best sounding interfaces and plugins ever made.

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-01-2014, 03:20 PM

I was actually looking at the Twin originally, but I'm pretty sure that I'll want more than 2 micpres. Does that unit even have an ADAT option for more inputs? If I'm reading it's specs correctly, what it does have is better quality than the Saffire, but again, way more limited track count.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I was actually looking at the Twin originally, but I'm pretty sure that I'll want more than 2 micpres. Does that unit even have an ADAT option for more inputs? If I'm reading it's specs correctly, what it does have is better quality than the Saffire, but again, way more limited track count.
Yes thats true. I thought you were looking for a higher quality interface.

You could go with an Apollo Quad. We have 2 of those and an Apollo Quad and soundwise it sounds better than our Avid HDX system. Although HDX has lower latency so we track with HDX and mix and fiddle about in HD11 and UA.

I you gave more or less a budget you have in mind we could offer better advice.

It's a big leap between a moddle of the road and lower high end

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-01-2014, 04:07 PM

I was wondering what the next step up is, quality wise, while keeping the track count the same. I like having the ADAT option incase I want to record live and need more inputs. If the Twin had an ability to add more tracks I'd probably go with it. I got a 3k budget; that leaves me around 800 for an interface (2k for computer and 200 for PT 11 crossgrade).
Old 12-01-2014, 04:08 PM

Yep if you can go with a QUAD, you surely would not be disappointed

Unison tech actually changed the impedance of the input (which can dramatically alter the sound for the better)

That's one reason why nicer outboard hardware and consoles cost more $$
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:14 PM

What about the Apogee quartet and you get PT11 included so you could sell one of the licenses to keep the cost down.

Don't put the interface low priority as it is one of the most important parts in a studio along with a good Mic and Preamp.

Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-01-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
What about the Apogee quartet and you get PT11 included so you could sell one of the licenses to keep the cost down.

Don't put the interface low priority as it is one of the most important parts in a studio along with a good Mic and Preamp.

Chris
The Apogee's a bit outta my price range. On the Twin website it says that you can add 8 additional digital channels via the optical input. What type of unit connects to this input? I'm guessing that it's different from the ADAT option, right?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
The Apogee's a bit outta my price range. On the Twin website it says that you can add 8 additional digital channels via the optical input. What type of unit connects to this input? I'm guessing that it's different from the ADAT option, right?
In all honesty we have never dabbled in this market of interfaces and add-ons as I had a super lucky foot in the recording business with a hige song that made us debt free and could invest in large console systems so if I were to guess the Apollo Twin would likely be a great investment for you.

When it comes to the optical connections I would think they mean Adat via optical but I hope someone who have done this can chime in with correct details as ai would just be guessing at this point.

I would definitely wait for someone who can explain this more thorough.

I will check a bit into the option of the interface and post what I "think" and hopefully we will get the answers you need..

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-01-2014, 05:10 PM

According to this you can add an additional 8 cannels via optical ADAT so that would make it 10 ins and thats basically a full fledged interface

Apollo has two total analog inputs — selectable from two digitally controlled analog mic preamps / line inputs, or a front-panel high impedance instrument input on Channel 1. It has six total analog outputs, including two balanced line outs, two digitally-controlled analog monitor outs, and one dedicated stereo headphone out. It also features an Optical input, adding 8 digital channels of ADAT or two channels of S/PDIF

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————