Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 09-27-2016, 08:27 PM

Default NEW - Focusrite RED 8 Pre ..., wow

WOW : NEW - Focusrite RED 8 Pre

https://global.focusrite.com/thunder...faces/red-8pre
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 09-27-2016, 08:33 PM

Default Re: NEW - Focusrite RED 8 Pre ..., wow

Wow indeed. That is a lot of IO in 1U. $3,500.

So I'm assuming you get 8 mic pre and 16 line inputs and the first 8 line inputs are used for the 8 mic inputs?

I'm interested in folks experiences with Red4Pre over Thunderbolt, esp. vs. an Apogee Ensemble.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Wow indeed. That is a lot of IO in 1U. $3,500.

So I'm assuming you get 8 mic pre and 16 line inputs and the first 8 line inputs are used for the 8 mic inputs?

I'm interested in folks experiences with Red4Pre over Thunderbolt, esp. vs. an Apogee Ensemble.
I demoed the Red 4Pre and Ensemble when the Red came out. Loved so much about the Red but went with the Ensemble. Big reason for me was that Red is not sample accurate with PT HDX. Converters are slower than AVID and so the audio is placed on the timeline incorrectly. It also has a weird I/O setup they say they are finally going to fix that makes i/o inserts matched pairs almost not available. see this thread starting on page 2... https://www.gearslutz.com/board/prod...d-4-pre-2.html

Since it could not be an HDX and Native one for me (I SO wished it would)... I tried the Apogee one out as a dedicated native i/o. It just works and sounds great. The driver has been very solid and I use it almost exclusively in Logic or S1 at 96kHz 32buffer. Preamps are great (though I rarely use them).

Feature wise the Focusrite one is killer. If I were a Dante guy it would definitely win. The HDX part is useabe for sure but if that would have been sample accurate - I would have kept it. It is one of the prettiest interfaces i ever had in house
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 09-28-2016, 04:37 AM

And it looks oh soo sexy that RED color

Damn .. we can't accomodate more interfaces here otherwise one would be here asap but i will have to live through the members who buy one until we decide to remive one or more if our interfaces.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-28-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
It is like a Ferrari .., or a Ducati
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 09-28-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafoam_Green View Post
It is like a Ferrari .., or a Ducati
Exactly all lush and shiny red. I would definitely check one out just due to that fact . hopefully we will have a demo here soon so i can play with that beauty and see what is what. Thanks for posting Seafoam.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
+1
Old 05-03-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I demoed the Red 4Pre and Ensemble when the Red came out. Loved so much about the Red but went with the Ensemble. Big reason for me was that Red is not sample accurate with PT HDX. Converters are slower than AVID and so the audio is placed on the timeline incorrectly. It also has a weird I/O setup they say they are finally going to fix that makes i/o inserts matched pairs almost not available. see this thread starting on page 2... https://www.gearslutz.com/board/prod...d-4-pre-2.html

Since it could not be an HDX and Native one for me (I SO wished it would)... I tried the Apogee one out as a dedicated native i/o. It just works and sounds great. The driver has been very solid and I use it almost exclusively in Logic or S1 at 96kHz 32buffer. Preamps are great (though I rarely use them).

Feature wise the Focusrite one is killer. If I were a Dante guy it would definitely win. The HDX part is useabe for sure but if that would have been sample accurate - I would have kept it. It is one of the prettiest interfaces i ever had in house

Yes, I was ready to buy a red 4 when I read that thread on gs. Pretty disappointing considering the relationship Avid has had with Focusrite! I will just stick with Avid interfaces now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
HerronSFX Instagram
Old 09-05-2017, 05:15 PM

I have the Red 8 Pre- I'm extremely happy with it.
I currently have it configured with a Rosetta 800 and an Audient ASP800.

I'm about to upgrade the Rosetta to 2 x REDNET 2's, which will give me 48 channels of IO using Dante + the onboard analog IO.
I run it at 96k using Logic and Protools 12- it is absolutely rock solid at 32 samples.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:20 PM

Thanks for chiming in James.

We got one aswell after we had a demo unit for two weeks and decided it was way to sexy and great quality to send back so now it sits in my private studio in my house and use it everyday and love it Sooo good looking ...

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————