Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 PM

Default Hey AVID, guess who's not upgrading to 12.0?

... This guy.

Is it because I'm dissatisfied with the quality of your software?

... No, guess again.

Is it because you take so long to implement features that have existed in your competitor's products for many major releases?

... Nope, not quite.

It's because your sales division keeps trying to sell me a product that doesn't really do anything different than the product I already paid for under the threat of loosing out on future upgrade pricing.

It's because I've been forced to pay for fixes to functionality I was already supposed to have because the fix wasn't slated for a maintenance patch release, but was rolled into the next major version.

... But wait! You've offered me a path to upgrade to 12.0 at no additional cost!

I should take it; but I'm not. Because I'm tired of upgrading software that doesn't provide me any additional value.

If you would like to engage with me in a discussion, I will gratefully oblige you.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Hey AVID, guess who's not upgrading to 12.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach.Annett View Post
[...] It's because I've been forced to pay for fixes to functionality I was already supposed to have because the fix wasn't slated for a maintenance patch release, but was rolled into the next major version.

... But wait! You've offered me a path to upgrade to 12.0 at no additional cost!
If 12 fixes something that was supposed to be fixed in 11 but wasn't, and 12 doesn't cost you anything, why not do it? It seems like the net result, for you, is the same as getting a free maintenance fix for 11.

Quote:
I should take it; but I'm not. Because I'm tired of upgrading software that doesn't provide me any additional value.
Isn't the bug fix "additional value?" I'm confused...
Old 05-08-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
If 12 fixes something that was supposed to be fixed in 11 but wasn't, and 12 doesn't cost you anything, why not do it? It seems like the net result, for you, is the same as getting a free maintenance fix for 11.
Except the pricing structure to continue with 12 is different.

Quote:
Not IMO. Additional value equates to additional features, again IMHO. If I bought a brand new car with a faulty spark plug, I'd expect it to be fixed.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 05-09-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:

If this is a hypothetical, it would help us if you itemized what those fixes from 11 in 12 are.

Thank you.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Except the pricing structure to continue with 12 is different.
Bingo! 12 incorporates Avid's new Fishhook technology where they affix a strong metal hook through the edge of your wallet, dragging it along through "fixes" many of which we'd actually paid for and been promised in 10 and 11. If you're not interested in Fishhook then stick with 11. If you prefer the comforts of tethering, and just want to give Avid a hug (on a forcibly renewable basis), then 12 is the recommended product.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:42 AM

I believe zedhed is better articulating the points I was trying to make in my rant.
  1. The new pricing model does not appeal to me as a consumer.
  2. Major releases of software typically* are reserved for new features. ProTools 12.0 seems to lack many of these types of features so far.

* I understand bug fixes will make it into new versions as well, but are typically released in maintenance patches for the version(s) where the functionality was supposed to exist in the first place.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:28 PM

PT 11 is supposed to include all bug fixes for the rest of the year and beyond. Nobody needs to upgrade in order to get bug fixes. They have already said that some Eucon fixes in 12 will be in the next 11 update.

PT 12 is the beginning of a new business model for consumer music software but not for business/professional software in general. Avid is supposed to start adding a few new features every few months as opposed to doing hyped "insanely great" giant upgrades every few years. They have already shown a track freeze feature that is supposed to be on the way.

If 12 is free, there 's no reason to not use it. If you don't renew the support plan it will still work with all of the features added up to the expiration point. If you aren't happy with what they've added after a year, you certainly have many other choices for a DAW these days. There's really no reason to worry about it until December.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:10 PM

I would have to go back and read the tiny little print but once you take the 'free' upgrade to 12 and have to surrender your 10/11 license, aren't you now in a position where you can no longer transfer said license?
Old 05-09-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
PT 11 is supposed to include all bug fixes for the rest of the year and beyond. Nobody needs to upgrade in order to get bug fixes. They have already said that some Eucon fixes in 12 will be in the next 11 update.

PT 12 is the beginning of a new business model for consumer music software but not for business/professional software in general. Avid is supposed to start adding a few new features every few months as opposed to doing hyped "insanely great" giant upgrades every few years. They have already shown a track freeze feature that is supposed to be on the way.

If 12 is free, there 's no reason to not use it. If you don't renew the support plan it will still work with all of the features added up to the expiration point. If you aren't happy with what they've added after a year, you certainly have many other choices for a DAW these days. There's really no reason to worry about it until December.
If this is indeed true, then perhaps I was a bit out of turn. My understanding was that the release of 12.0 was going to limit the maintenance of 11.x for their existing customers.

However, for those who do not currently have a free option to upgrade, the release notes for 12.0 indicate that there are very few features that users are getting for the price they pay to upgrade.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
...those who do not currently have a free option to upgrade, the release notes for 12.0 indicate that there are very few features that users are getting for the price they pay to upgrade.
This is true but nobody needs to upgrade before there are any features they want. They did the same thing with Media Composer last year.