Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 AM

Default Help..! Bought 11R from Guitar Center, but had no software disks!

I got a "Open Box/Used" Eleven Rack from Guitar Center last thursday, but it had nothing int he box..no manual, no cord (no biggie on the cord), but worst of all, no software disks..

Do I need to call Avid?

The manager at Guitar Center said he would call or contact whoever he needed to to make it right for me, but I find lots of contact info, just nothing specifically for my issue.

What do you guys suggest?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Your first mistake was buying from guitar center. The second buying an open box. I would not dick around and return it to them ASAP. Or did you buy a no return deal? Caveat Emptor. Insist they take it back. You want/need all the registration/proof of purchase paperwork and a installer DVD is still important in many situations.

You especially should be buying one bundled with Pro Tools 9 since that qualifies for a Pro Tools 10 upgrade. Resellers will be likely flushing their stock of older Pro Tools 8 bundled versions. Which you likely got loaded with.

Darryl
Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Help..! Bought 11R from Guitar Center, but had no software disks!

Worst case scenario you would qualify for the crossgrade to 10, you would have to purchase it:

http://imsproav.com/main/Professiona...206503400.html

people really need to inquire as to what they are getting before they pull the trigger on these 'deals.'
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 AM

The only reason I was even able to get the unit was by trading in quite a bit of other equipment myself. This type of unit is way beyond my price range, so this was my only shot.

I only need the software so that I can load presets, etc..I have no idea how to use Pro Tools, but maybe I can learn. Learning to use the unit in its full capacity is what I am going for right now.

The manager at Guitar Center said I could return it if things do not work out getting the software and getting the unit registered to me, so that is an option as well.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promixr View Post

people really need to inquire as to what they are getting before they pull the trigger on these 'deals.'
I have wanted one of these for some time, but never realized that they had to be used together, so I did not even think about the missing disk as a problem until I got home..

but it cost me nothing out of pocket, as I traded a bunch of gear I have not used in quite some time, so it made the wife happy getting rid of "clutter" (her word for all my toys) and making space and I got something cool and new to use, well, if I can get Avid to help me out..
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Ah actually the worst case scenario is the Eleven Rack is an abused floor model and faulty, has the clock bug and did not work and somebody put it back in the box or a customer had managed to return it.

And maybe the activation for Pro Tools 8 or 9 has already been used in which case you will have to purchase a retail full version of Pro Tools 10 for $699.

A manager at guitar center on this situation should not be asking the customer what to do. They should either rectify the problems or take the unit back. By asking the customer what to do they are either clueless or just blowing you off hoping you will go away. Is my love of GC showing?

Darryl
Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Your first mistake was buying from guitar center. The second buying an open box.

You especially should be buying one bundled with Pro Tools 9 since that qualifies for a Pro Tools 10 upgrade.

Darryl
I have had many years of dealing with GC and never had any issue that wasn't resolved perfectly to my satisfaction.
I also buy from my local music store when I can, but until I am lucky enough to win the Lotto, I guess I will have to get by with "open box" deals

I also could care less about any upgrade to Pro Tools at this time, as it would be wasted on me since I am just a newbie and do not have a MAC.
I just need whatever will let me make complete use of the 11R unit.
I am new to this world of computer recording as well as anything having to do with Pro Tools. I am just learning to use Reaper while using my "open box" M-Audio 410 Firewire interface.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ah actually the worst case scenario is the Eleven Rack is an abused floor model and faulty, has the clock bug
I was told that my unit was bought by a local "pro" well known to the staff, but then returned by this person because of "too many buttons" syndrome. Why there is no software, I do not know..kind of sucks though..

Could you elaborate on this "clock bug"..? And is there a listing of affected units maybe by serial number? I will most certainly take it back if it is so affected. I played with it over the weekend just plugging my guitar into it and using my headphones, and all the patches that are there that I tried all seemed fine..

I am sorry you seem to have had issues with the GC people..but as I said, I have never had anything but great service and lots of help from the local GC's in my area.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:28 AM

If your receipt says used then you will have problems getting AVID to give you an activation code. If it doesn't have that on there then you may be able to ask nicely and get them to give you a new registration code and that would allow you to download PT8LE.

Why on earth they treat the software and hardware seperate when they purposefully keep them tied together AND the software will not work without the hardware AND you can't use the hardware to it's full capabilities is beyond me. They created the restrictions intentionally and in doing so make it ONE system IMHO.

And just to add to the mess here the installer discs don't work half the time anyway. I had to get a new registration code because it came up as already activated even though everything was still sealed and the software crashed about half way through the installation everytime. I got a new registration code, downloaded the software and was up and running with zero problems within about 24 hours of contacting them.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:39 AM

It may turn out that I have to return the unit..I hope not, but I have 30 days to get this worked out and give it a try to see.

I don't understand why Avid would give me trouble, after all I am buying their equipment. If, as I understand, pro tools will not work without the 11R plugged in, then even if the previous owner did have it registered, it is no good to him anymore anyway, right? You would think that as expensive as this stuff is, and with the state of the economy, Avid would jump thru hoops to make their customers VERY happy so that they can continue to sell things and not go out of business. I have received no response from them via email or from submitting the "ownership transfer" claim which included a scan of the sales receipt from Guitar Center, which does indeed say "Used MDSE" on it. I will call this afternoon and ask if they have indeed received the form and can read the receipt as a .pdf which is the format that I sent it in..I might add that it is a VERY high resolution picture, and is very plainly read and there should be no question at all as to its validity.

I also ask now from you guys, does it have to be this very specific version of pro tools, or will any of the newer flavors work for what I want to do with the 11Rack..?