Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2010, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE on new MacBook Pro I7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fins View Post
are you using the new mac pros? with core i7 processor version 10.6.3?
Yep. I also ran Update Manager and installed all the latest updates for 10.6.3.

Pro Tools actually crashed once on me but I was messing around with a freeware VST Plugin and FXpension's VST to RTAS when it happened. So I guess this doesnt really count. Just to be on the save side I moved the hub to the front USB port. No more problems since then but I also stopped using VST to RTAS.

Edit: I saw in one of your earlier post that you also have problems in Logic. I dont know if Logic is doing the same thing but when I launch any of the NI plugs standalone they autoload 'Digidesign CoreAudio Manager' (or something similar) and then crash. If this happens to you too just do a search in spotlight and move the Digidesign Coreaudio Manager to e.g. the desktop. This should stop it from loading.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 AM

its more the mbox 2 mini.

the programs work fine when it is not connected but as soon as the mbox is connected everything starts freezing and crashing.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Avid

Quote:
im having the same problem.

new macbook pro, core i7, 15"
mbox 2 mini

im using protools and logic and it wont work on either.
as soon as the mbox is plugged in it starts freezing and wont load.

i can play itunes through the mbox for a second before audio stops and computer starts to freeze.

dont want to use a powered usb hub as that would defeat the purpose of having a portable recording system.

Quote:
If it's a USB interface have you tried:

1. Using a different USB port
2. Unplugging your Ethernet cable (if one is connected) or
3. Toggling Bluetooth
Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM

I have the 15" i5 MBP.
Once I switched to the frontmost USB it worked.
I am however experiencing some problems.
After a while my sessions start acting up.
The sound gets gradually worse and PT becomes unstable.
I can then change the number host processors in the playback engine dialogue
which seems to reinitialize something and then the sound is ok.
OK I realize that wasn't the most detailed description in the history of DUC
but I just thought I would throw out there.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 AM

if i use the front usb port (closest to user) it works but will start playing up
(sessions will freeze and MacPro has to be restarted.

i dont use any Ethernet cable.

and tried toggling bluetooth but has not worked.

i upgraded from a 2008 white MacBook and it worked fine....didn't matter what usb port i used or if anything else was connected or running.

i would like to leave bluetooth on as i have a "magic mouse"

will there be an update to fix these problems?

again my equipment is

mbox 2 mini
Macbook Pro 15"
I7
Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 PM

For someone who hasn't spent a whole lot of time around here, how long does it usually take Avid to come up with updates for new Mac products? I'm trying to decide whether or not to install Pro Tools LE 8 on my brand-new MacBook Pro with a 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 processor. The laptop, of course, has the new 10.6.3 version of Snow Leopard installed. I have an MBox 2 to run on it. Is it worth just waiting for an update? I have a USB hub to run it on but it isn't powered so I gather that wouldn't be much of a help...I might buy a powered one to run it for the time being. I'm pretty freaked out by the idea of a 4-day-old computer crashing.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Avid

Quote:
if i use the front usb port (closest to user) it works but will start playing up
(sessions will freeze and MacPro has to be restarted.

i dont use any Ethernet cable.

and tried toggling bluetooth but has not worked.

i upgraded from a 2008 white MacBook and it worked fine....didn't matter what usb port i used or if anything else was connected or running.

i would like to leave bluetooth on as i have a "magic mouse"

will there be an update to fix these problems?

again my equipment is

mbox 2 mini
Macbook Pro 15"
I7
Which version of Pro Tools are you running?

Have you done any of the other General Troubleshooting steps, especially making sure all plug-ins are compatible? Can you zip up your LogFiles folder from inside your Pro Tools folder and upload it (use a free file hosting service if needed) so we can take a look?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Any updates related to this problem?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:01 AM

Hi, I'm new on this forum, I'm a student and I just bought a macbook pro i7 15" and one mbox2.

i have the same problems on my laptop, protools 8.0.3 freezes while is opening; sometimes it works (when i plug the mbox on the front usb) sometimes appear a window telling a IOPCMCIAFamily.kext problem (the os didn't recognize my mbox2).
i tried installing the 8.0.3cs2 update for protools, but same problems...can anyone help me?
(ps. excuse my bad english)
Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy32 View Post
I am having the same problems. After installing Pro Tools 8.0.3 on my MacBook Pro 17 inch, 2.66 i7, Pro Tools would freeze when opened and my whole system crashed when connected to mBox2. I followed an earlier poster's advice to use the USB port closest to Express Card. It appears to be working fine when I use that port, but I remain nervous about this. Need to be careful not to use the wrong USB connection or you put your OS at risk. Avid PLEASE update so we can be more secure about this!
Hey Gang, I have an update on my situation that should be of major concern to folks.

I cannot be sure that the Pro TOols 8.0.3/mBox2/MacBookPro i7 combination is the culprit, but chances seem pretty high that there is a major incompatibility issue here (or it could just be that my new MBP is crap]. I recorded a concert in Pro Tools this weekend from the soundboard into the mBox, which went okay, but Pro Tools was acting weird and stopped recording a couple of times, so I had to watch it closely. I was working on the audio in Pro Tools yesterday and even using the right USB port (closest to the Express Card), I had a CPU overload when trying to process one of the files. Later that evening, my whole system failed and the computer simply crashed every time I turned it on.

The mac tech support ran me through some diagnostics and said it is "likely" a software issue affecting the OS. The disk could not be repaired, so I am doing a clean erase & install. I fortunately backed everything up (and could access data by making it a slave disk to another Mac), but the bottom line is that the whole computer has now failed, and requires a reinstall. Dangerous stuff!

Anyway, I really need to use Pro Tools for a project, so may have to risk this again, but will run it for a few days without Pro Tools and see how it acts and back up to externals every minute.

But it seems there is a good chance that the problems people are experiencing have the potential to be pretty serious for your workflow. Again, I can't say 100% that it is a Pro Tools incompatibility that has caused my total system crash, but it does seem a likely culprit.

Thanks to the Pro Tools guys for getting on this, I guess it's not their fault that Mac comes out with this thing.