Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM

Default volume automation on Xpand

I cannot seem to get the automation to stick on this, wherever the fader is last left... that's where it's stays, despite the pencil tool allowing me to draw it in

do I need to bounce to another track to do this (seems archaic)

I've tried both the master fader and the volume level/fader within Xpand
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM

Default Re: volume automation on Xpand

Plug-In Automation or Continues Controller Automation?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 AM

automation after the fact- I change the edit view to volume, select the pencil, make my adjustments, hit save... aqnd the volume is wherever it was last left (in this case a fade to silence)

I select write, and move the channel fader where I want the changes, hit stop, save... same resxult as above

I grab the fader in the plug-in (Xpand), hit write, go through the track, making the changes, save... still no luck
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 PM

Automation Enable Window - Plug-In enabled?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
automation after the fact- I change the edit view to volume, select the pencil, make my adjustments, hit save... aqnd the volume is wherever it was last left (in this case a fade to silence)

I select write, and move the channel fader where I want the changes, hit stop, save... same resxult as above

I grab the fader in the plug-in (Xpand), hit write, go through the track, making the changes, save... still no luck
In the edit window for the track, do you have "Read" selected after you do the write? If its not Read, Touch or Latch it will ignore your automation lane. In Write mode, it will overwrite whatever is there. In Off mode, it ignores everything. And are you selecting Audio Volume for the edit lane or MIDI volume? You need Audio volume to change the fader.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 PM

I have pulled every element over to the automate window

I've seleceted Audio volume... drawn chaos with the the pencil... the line holds in the volume window... but the fader/level remains unchanged

no automation

I've tried structure and Xpand same results

seems I can get individual tracks (1 of the 4) to work... but i can't get a "global" change

maybe that's the work around? select all 4 tracks and draw the fade?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
I have pulled every element over to the automate window

I've seleceted Audio volume... drawn chaos with the the pencil... the line holds in the volume window... but the fader/level remains unchanged

no automation

I've tried structure and Xpand same results

seems I can get individual tracks (1 of the 4) to work... but i can't get a "global" change

maybe that's the work around? select all 4 tracks and draw the fade?
When you say you've pulled every element over to the automate window, do you mean you've selected a parameter in, say, Xpand (in this case volume) and set it up so it has its own automation lane? You said you selected "Audio volume" for automation, but the fader doesn't move? Which fader, the track fader or the volume fader in Xpand? If I'm understanding you correctly, if you select the main "audio volume" option in the autionmation, you're automating the track fader, not the VI's volume controls on the VI itself. I can't tell from what you've described if you properly set up the parameters you wanted from the VI to have their own automation lane. For example if you hit CTRL-ALT-START (on a PC) and click on, say, the volume control on one of the 4 voices on the Xpand VI, then you can set that as an automation lane. Then when you go to the tracks automation options, you have to call up THAT very parameter which will be labled as such. Is that what you did? (If you're on a Mac, I don't know what keys you hit to set up the automation on the VI).

It sounds like that's what you want to do, but maybe I'm not getting what you're saying.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:40 PM

And one more thought. You said the line holds in the volume window, but the fader remains unchanged. I think you mean that whatever you drew remains? If so, what you didn't say was what effect you heard...that is to say, did what you drew actually affect the output? If so, then your automation did affect the output even if you don't see anything going up and down on the screen.