Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-01-2002, 11:34 AM

Default Mix System VS Powerful PTLE System

What are your thoughts on the processing power of PTLE 6.0 software (which will be Altivec and DP aware) running on a new Mac DP 1gig or 1.25 gig machine VS. a Mix or Mix Plus system?

I have seen several post where guys with Mix (1 card) systems did not have hardly any DSP power with 32 tracks. This makes me think that an 001 might be more powerful in a new DP Mac and the new PTLE software.

Here are my goals:
-24-32 tracks
-EQ and Comps on all tracks (waves)

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Mix System VS Powerful PTLE System

Personally if that was ALL I would ever want to do I would go for LE...... but If you were to go for a Mix System you could upgrade much more easly at a later date if you wanted to. all you would need is a farm card, where as upgrading LE .... well you can't really, without going to a Mix/HD system. I know that i personaly would want to incease my track count/processing sooner or later so if I could I would probably go for a HD 1 system which would give me a lot to work with until I wanted to upgrade, which I could then do later when I had some cash
Old 12-02-2002, 12:24 AM

With a mix system you gain additional power. Don't forget that you can run all the same native plugs on a TDM system in addition to the TDM plugs. Also all of the mixer processing is handled by the TDM DSP, freeing up more power on the host processor. You're only adding to the processing power of your system.

In addition to all that, you gain double the track count and a lot of other features that once you have, you couldn't imagine going without.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:31 AM

When comparing a native-based ProToolsLE system v/s a card-based MIX or HD system, there are some things to think about obviously. Do you want to invest your money in DSP processing to give you rock-solid performance, real-time monitoring, and access to plugins that aren't available for anything else.... or do you want to have lesser processing but have a better front-end? In a perfect, world.... you'd have the TDM with the outboard gear. This really comes down to what your budget is and how you need to fill that budget. Personally, I use a Mix3 (dying for HD!) system which gives me plenty of power to run my Waves plugins, my ReverbOne (not available in LE), and everything else I want to throw at it. I can monitor my inputs in real-time, so no front-end mixer is needed. I'm also fortunate to be using some of the best outboard preamps and microphones available too.... but I understand it's not possible for everyone to have it both ways.

The advantages of the LE system is you can put some killer converters on the front-end, pickup a great mic-pre/compressor/eq with a high-end microphone. Get a wealth of native-plugins, a nice control surface, and some good accurate monitors. This can definitely be done for under $10,000 but again it comes down to what is your budget and how do you need to spend it. I'm not a big fan of native systems for how I WORK...but my needs are most likely completely different than your's.

While a MIX system is very good, it has very little DSP. The minnimum you should get is a MixPlus or really a Mix3. There are refurbished MixPlus systems for very affordable now that by the time it's all said and done you could get a full system with somd good plugins and a small control surface for about $15,000 including the computer and hard-drives. BUT with that said, HD has so much more to offer over a Mix series product with an improved internal summing-bus, new HD-only plugins, a streamlined TDM channel with improved bussing of its throughput, more DSP (way more), etc.
blyons@gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com