Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2019, 07:17 PM

Default Playback Engine Settings Do Not Persist

Hello,

Everything was beautiful and working a few weeks ago when I was playing with my Pro Tools First software. I logged in today and the software must had updated something and I was hearing no audio. I saw that it is now recognizing my monitor as an audio output device and set to that. When I change it back to my speakers , it validates and allows me to press ok. But the audio output settings do not persist. I am not getting any errors. My next thought was to try this and run the software in administrator mode. But I observe the same results. I attempt to change the settings, click ok, and the settings do not persist to use my Speakers as the audio output device. The speakers are working with other applications. All other applications using the speakers are closed when Pro Tools runs, or so I am aware. Anyway to test if there are any hidden programs using the device?

I am not sure how to troubleshoot or fix this issues. Has anyone else experienced this problem or have advice?

Thanks,

-Kathleen
Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Playback Engine Settings Do Not Persist

Hard to follow what devices you are talking about, nobody here knows what "my monitor" or "my speakers" are etc.

Hold down the 'N' key while Pro Tools is starting and keep it held until the Playback Engine Dialog appears and then select the correct audio interface.

If other interfaces are showing up as playback engine options that you don't use, then delete them (or at least any ASIO driver) using the Windows Device Manager.

---

You should ideally have an interface to use by Pro Tools which has a native ASIO (i.e. not using ASIO4ALL) driver and dedicate that to Pro Tools. Windows sound, and other applications should not be set to use it at all.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:44 PM

This is the setting that persists

This is the setting I want to use my speakers.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 PM

Holding down N each time you start Pro Tools is a work around.

Again, you are much better off getting a dedicated audio interface for Pro Tools with a native ASIO driver.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:09 AM

Hi There,

Sorry if I did not clarify but I followed the instructions that you recommended in your reply. The software still has a bug and the settings do not persist after setting them. At this point, I am only wanting to mix songs to output to my speakers and not purchase an audio interface. Maybe in the future, but I am not optimized for recording, only playing back.

I think this issue happened after a software update and it recognizes now 3, instead of two output devices. Have you tried this setting after with 3 or more selection options (output) with Pro Tools First ? I would like to know if this problem affects only me.

Thanks,

-Kathleen
Old 05-08-2019, 01:21 PM

I was not claiming this would change the behavior, I was giving you a work around. *every* time you start Pro Tools First, hold down N and set what you need, thats often quicker that trying to use PT then finding the playback engine settings are wrong.

I (and most other users here) do not use First, and almost all of us use an ASIO compatible dedicated audio interface when running on Windows, it's totally unclear what actual interface you have. Pro Tools of all types losing it's mind about what the last interface used was is not uncommon.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:50 PM

Hi David,

The "work around" you mentioned does not work in Pro Tools First. I previously mentioned that I tried your suggestion, but it did not work.

I am unable to purchase a licensed copy of Pro Tools at this time nor an Audio Interface device but had hoped to do so in the future in a couple of years. I am only using the native machine as a processor, Windows 10 Professional and the output Speakers as seen in the screen capture. According to documentation, Pro Tools First is supposed to support native machine audio processing on my Windows PC. As mentioned, I am not doing any recording or input processing, only outputting sounds to speakers, so I do not need an audio interface at this time.

This is just a new hobby for me, hoped to be a master in a few years, but I see there are some issues with the product. If you have any connections to the company, please ask them to look into this issue as it was previously working.

-Kathleen
Old 05-08-2019, 02:02 PM

It's windows doing not Pro Tools. Apparently something in a windows update has your audio settings changing. Any time Windows sees an HDMI device it tries to use that as the default audio. The easiest thing to do is to go into Windows settings>system>sound>sound control panel(on the right side of the sound window in WIN 10)which will bring up the playback, recording, sounds , communication tabbed control panel. Click on the "MP59..intel display" and then click "disable". If you need to use it for other programs later you can enable it again.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:15 PM

Hey there 64GTOBOY,

Thank you for guiding me to where to disable that extra audio device. I did this, and it fixed my issue! I am back in business and continue my practice/learning with Pro Tools First.

-Kathleen

Here is a cookie for you

Old 05-08-2019, 02:39 PM
Avid

Try using ASIO 4 ALL (from www.asio4all.com) as your playback engine and select the device you wanted to use as output from the asio 4 all's control panel. To do this, when you're on a project, click on the Settings Tab, and click on Hardware (while ASIO 4 All is selected as playback engine).
Hope this helps