Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:50 AM
Meads's Avatar
Meads Meads is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,764
Default Re: A PCU test: PT Vs Reaper with pretty incredible result

Quote:
Originally Posted by miul68 View Post
And are you using it?
I wouldn't care if I didn't but I do.
__________________

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.4
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.5
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:52 AM
miul68 miul68 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 36
Default Re: A PCU test: PT Vs Reaper with pretty incredible result

And are you able to open a decent amount of tracks and plugin to mix?
And why you do? Cannot find anything else that fits you?

As long as I like it I really don’t think I can manage it with this performance





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:58 AM
Meads's Avatar
Meads Meads is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,764
Default Re: A PCU test: PT Vs Reaper with pretty incredible result

Quote:
Originally Posted by miul68 View Post
And are you able to open a decent amount of tracks and plugin to mix?
And why you do? Cannot find anything else that fits you?

As long as I like it I really don’t think I can manage it with this performance





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have performance issues because the computers I use have a lot of headroom in that regard. But it's obvious, that PT isn't optimized in a way to take advantage of modern CPUs.
I use it, because I have been using it for 20 years now, and I know it inside out. I cannot afford learning a new DAW, because I rely on knowing my tools and being very quick and efficient in using them. Also I don't want to. I love working with Pro Tools, it's second nature. I just wish they employed competent people instead of untrained and unmotivated and probably underpayed farm animals.
__________________

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.4
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.5
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2019, 04:04 AM
miul68 miul68 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 36
Default Re: A PCU test: PT Vs Reaper with pretty incredible result

When you say your computer “has a lot of headroom” what do you exactly mean.
I have Mac book pro 2018 expanded at the top, do you think that PT works better with older computers?

Thank you for answering me especially as you are the only one.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-08-2019, 04:15 AM
Meads's Avatar
Meads Meads is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,764
Default Re: A PCU test: PT Vs Reaper with pretty incredible result

I never used a Laptop with PT. Macbooks nowadays are designer accessories with insufficient emphasis on cooling, which means they can't make good use of their CPUs. They get too hot and throttle down when taxed over a longer period of time.
If a lot of processing is needed I'd always go with a properly cooled desktop solution.
__________________

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.4
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.5
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-08-2019, 04:27 AM
miul68 miul68 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 36
Default Re: A PCU test: PT Vs Reaper with pretty incredible result

That might be very well true. Got a lot of complains about the heating, and I most likely going towards that direction. Although, I have to say that my comparison was on the same...laptop.
Therefore, as long as I completely agree in general terms, the specific case of the Pro Tools performing 5 Times less stays, doesn’t it?
I was actually hoping than the announced playback improvement will take care of the issue...you seem to be pretty skeptical.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-08-2019, 04:33 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,098
Default Re: A PCU test: PT Vs Reaper with pretty incredible result

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
It's not unexpected at all. I haven't tried this particular test, obviously, but during my own simple tests I got about double the plugins with Reaper compared to PT.

One likely explanation is that Reaper has a feature called "Anticipative FX Processing" which appears to pre-calculate some FX processing. It works really well and doesn't affect real time processing at all that I can tell.

Someone wrote that Studio One has added a similar capability, but I can't confirm it, and I have no idea how well it works.
Digital Performer has had that capability for pretty much all of the life of DP9. They call it pre-gen and the newer/current version is called next gen pregen. It works not only on fx but also vi's. I've tried it (there is a way to disable it) and while on simple stuff it can save a lot of cpu usage it's also possible for it to muck with the sound.

I can see it being a problem in PT given it's history with at times wonky delay compensation.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-08-2019, 04:33 AM
Meads's Avatar
Meads Meads is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,764
Default A PCU test: PT Vs Reaper with pretty incredible result

It's not even been comfirmed that there is a rewrite of the playback engine, has it?
However, of course I'm sceptical given Avid's catastrophic track record with major changes. Anyone remember those random fullscale noise blasts?
PT has been a trainwreck ever since the big rewrite couple years back. It was not until a year ago or two that they finally managed to reach an acceptable level of stability again.
So, yeah, I bet a new playback engine will just be another Pandora's box for the first couple iterations. I'd happily be proven wrong.
__________________

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.4
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.5
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-08-2019, 06:10 AM
64GTOBOY's Avatar
64GTOBOY 64GTOBOY is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 665
Default Re: A PCU test: PT Vs Reaper with pretty incredible result

Quote:
Originally Posted by miul68 View Post
So, 250 users looked at this and had nothing to say.

Now I don't know what to think, whether you guys don't have this problem, you don't feel it or what.

I'm currently working on a song with about 15 audio tracks no virtual synths and no plugins as the few ones open are from uad, and it stops continuously...surely I won't be able to mix it.

How do you guys do??? Do you all have hdx and mix with internal plugs? seems unreal to me!

Please help me understand it!
The reason IMHO why you arent getting responses is because this is a Pro Tools forum filled with people who regularly use PT vanilla, hdx etc without problems most of the time because they have learned to optimize and set up their systems, but are here to help and be helped when something does occasionally go awry. If you have specific performance concerns i would respectfully suggest you visit the "help us help you" sections then post back with a specific concern others can address with all the pertinent information.
__________________
Dell XPS 8900 i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 32 Gig Memory:Seagate 2 TB,1TB,4TB,500gb EVO OS Windows 7 Ultimate
PT 2019.5 Native through A&H Qu-32
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-08-2019, 08:18 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,098
Default Re: A PCU test: PT Vs Reaper with pretty incredible result

Quote:
Originally Posted by miul68 View Post
And why is this thread in this general off topic section?!?
This thread definitely belong to 2018 if not 2019
Was my mistake or it was moved here???
First off you probably put it here. In your initial post you make no mention of what PT version you're running. You also don't include any system information and the very limited amount you do have in your profile only shows you're running OSX 10.13.6. What are your computer specs? What exact Mac are you running? There's a lot of things that can influence performance.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SONAR on OSX ALPHA THIS FALL!!!! INCREDIBLE! davemartone General Discussion 3 08-19-2016 03:53 PM
PT10 is incredible! Snarf Pro Tools 10 0 10-27-2011 03:40 PM
THE UNOFFICIAL "DAVE C" TEST RESULT THREAD scuzzytim 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 79 07-14-2010 08:21 PM
Looking for Davec test result ikke 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 0 02-03-2007 05:35 PM
Most incredible scene in a movie soundsurfr 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 29 06-16-2002 02:29 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com