Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2002, 02:59 PM

Default Need suggestions on eliminating popping noise during playback

I'm running a 333MHz Celeron with 256 Mb of RAM and whichever soundcard came with the computer. The only problem that bothers me is that I get popping noises during playback. Changing the sampling rate to and from 48/44.1 for a moment seems to cure the problem for about 5 minutes at a time and after 4 tries of that the computer crashes. I started out only having 64 Mb of RAM and kept getting the -9092 error. So I went up to 256 and I still occasionally get the error.
I've tried fooling with buffer size and deleting DAE Prefs before running the program with no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks for any input.

Jim
Old 05-19-2002, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Need suggestions on eliminating popping noise during playback

i also had this problem with PTF on my PC... AMD 750 with 256+128 megs RAM... if i closed PT's and reopened it would go away... i dont know if its exactly the same tho because mine was a horrible distorted cooked sound. i know you were probably looking for a premanent fix but this workaround is all i got to, because about a week after PTF i bought a G4 and AM III with PT LE
Old 05-20-2002, 08:43 AM

I got the same weird sound...
"Clausiii" told me on the thread here "very strange noises" that he had it and got rid of it, maybe by to uninstalling Hubis MidiLoopBack. Didn't work for me though, doubt that it is a midi thang.
M.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:12 PM

The thing is I'm not even doing anything with MIDI. I'm just using PTF to do some post prod. work. All I do is extract CD audio or MP3's into PTF to work with. I'm going to install a 7200 RPM Maxtor 13G HD tonight and will see what happens.

Jim
Old 05-20-2002, 04:08 PM

I use the same driver as he (APS). Still got that sound.
And the noise comes even if I just start it up and do nothing, so I dont think its related to what you do (midi or audio).
Sigh...
Old 05-21-2002, 12:41 AM

I think he got rid of them by installing a different driver for his soundblaster card...

Bastiaan
Old 05-23-2002, 12:30 AM

@MKM2: your strange sounds are from the MIDI sound chip of your soundcard, isn´t it? Like playing all sounds it has, trying to do this as fast as it can, beginning with percussion sounds....
I think it must be a MIDI problem.
Try to change MIDI settings in the MIDI click option. Or turn of MIDI devices in the transport window. I don´t know exactly what I did to get rig of this problem. I tried out so many things that I´m not able to tell you the real way to sucsess.

@all others: your problem seem to be a real audio problem because of too slow systems (celeron), incompatibilities (soundcard, chipset...).

@
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 05-25-2002, 12:03 AM

I installed the 7200 RPM HD and it actually worked fine for about one minute. I tried hard to to all sorts of things to check for the noise and it wasn't there. Then I opened another session and the noise came right back. I know I'm supposed to use 48K as a sampling rate and delete DAE Prefs. There are so many choices here. What do you guys recommend I keep my H/W Buffer size at? Thanks.

Jim
Old 05-26-2002, 09:25 PM

Your 333 Celeron is the problem. I run an AMD 800 mhz w/ 758 megs of ram and I get the popping and drop-outs on Cool Edit Pro 1.2a when I use a sample rate of over 22,050 mhz. 16-bit Stereo. In other words, the slower your processor, the lower your sample rate needs to be. This is why PT works better on Macs; the processor is MUCH more efficient at this kind of task.

PS: I'm relegated to Cool Edit Pro because PTFree doesn't work on WinXP. Lovely.

Phil
Old 05-27-2002, 07:54 AM

@Tar Heel

But your AMD seems to be fast enough for audio processing. I use an Intel Pentium III 866Mhz with no problems.

Maybe it´s your soundcard or the buffer size is much to low.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block