Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2019, 04:00 PM

Default So upgrade to .10 from .5 or not?

What’s the verdict?

I don’t do post.
And I’m pretty happy with .5

Should I? Shouldn’t I?
Old 12-13-2019, 04:48 PM

Default Re: So upgrade to .10 from .5 or not?

You answered your own question basically! You are Happy on the version you have now so why change anything that works?

These are ”dot” releases meaning mainly bugfixes so if you are working good right now then stay where you are until a version comes along that you really ”need” to get.

Also IF and this is basic common sense you would want to try the latest version make sure you have a 100% working bootable clone of your entire system drive before you update. And i always turn OFF CCC Before we do any updates to be super certain that CCC doesn’t start cloning the internal drive in the middle of testing and updating and or upgrading anything so we have a working boot drive untouched should anything go awry.

This is maybe just us beeing anal about the clone software but I have seen CCC and other similar software start cloning in the middle of a breakdown upgrade which in turn makes both drives unusable with the exact same problems.

All the Best // Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-13-2019, 05:18 PM

I agree, but I would point out that with Avid's current method of updates, saying "these are ”dot” releases meaning mainly bug fixes" is no longer true. That is, all Pro Tools updates start with the year it comes out, and all have a "dot" referring to the month it comes out. All have some feature updates and some bug fixes. If they do another update that you might consider a major and important update, they can just as easily release it in October as May, so it's up to you to look at what's in a new update to see if the features are important enough for you to adopt it even if your system is working fine. You simply can't tell because it ends with .10 versus .5 versus .1 whether or not it's a release with important feature additions.

Last edited by ehaber; 12-14-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
What’s the verdict?

I don’t do post.

Should I? Shouldn’t I?
Maybe better wait until you can update to Catalina compatible version if you are happy now
Old 12-13-2019, 07:39 PM

You could certainly give it a whirl. Just rename the previous version, and you can have both. Lots of people here have done it, including me. I'm not aware of any issues.

If you're talking about buying and you have a perpetual license, I'd go with reinstatement. Now thru Dec 31 it's the same price as renewal, except you can redeem the code and update when you feel it's worth it.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
What’s the verdict?

I don’t do post.

Should I? Shouldn’t I?
hi William, i ended with PT v 19.6.0.370 for Mac ... the only thing that seemed interesting after this version is SideChain ... BUT that said, i am not sure if it is Ultimate ONLY ... if so, i did not miss anything !!!

so if you use sidechain and your version of PT (vanilla or ultimate) it might be worth updating ...

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro