Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 AM

Default A couple of clues in the Avid PT11 promo video

We'll know for sure tonight, but there were a couple of things I noticed in the 2 minute promo video on PT11 that's on the Avid website.

One is, I'm pretty sure Disk Cache will be in the regular version of PT11. The reason I think that, is because I know when running HD Native with HD Native hardware, the system usage window not only shows CPU usage, etc., but it also shows how many voices are being used (voices in HD Native only apply to audio tracks). It's not a separate window, but an extension on the existing one.

When I run my HD10 software with a regular (non-HD) interface, or with the Mac's built in output, that voices window is not there. Just the normal system usage, etc., which includes Disk Cache.

In the video, they are showing the system usage meters, and there is no voices meter showing up, so that means they are running regular Protools 11. But it still shows Disk Cache usage.

At first I thought maybe they were running the CPTK enhanced version of PT11, but now we know that's not even possible, so this appears to be regular non-HD Protools 11 using Disk Cache.

I know this may seem very convoluted, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. We should find out tonight.

On a completely different note, the second thing I saw in the video, for just a few seconds, was they were running Superior Drummer in PT11.

We know that Superior Drummer is not yet AAX, yet here they were running it. So this was obviously a beta version, but what that means is that Superior Drummer AAX is pretty far along and should be right about ready for release, and will come sooner rather than later. Cool!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 AM

Default Re: A couple of clues in the Avid PT11 promo video

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
We'll know for sure tonight, but there were a couple of things I noticed in the 2 minute promo video on PT11 that's on the Avid website.

One is, I'm pretty sure Disk Cache will be in the regular version of PT11. The reason I think that, is because I know when running HD Native with HD Native hardware, the system usage window not only shows CPU usage, etc., but it also shows how many voices are being used (voices in HD Native only apply to audio tracks). It's not a separate window, but an extension on the existing one.

When I run my HD10 software with a regular (non-HD) interface, or with the Mac's built in output, that voices window is not there. Just the normal system usage, etc., which includes Disk Cache.

In the video, they are showing the system usage meters, and there is no voices meter showing up, so that means they are running regular Protools 11. But it still shows Disk Cache usage.

At first I thought maybe they were running the CPTK enhanced version of PT11, but now we know that's not even possible, so this appears to be regular non-HD Protools 11 using Disk Cache.

I know this may seem very convoluted, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. We should find out tonight.

On a completely different note, the second thing I saw in the video, for just a few seconds, was they were running Superior Drummer in PT11.

We know that Superior Drummer is not yet AAX, yet here they were running it. So this was obviously a beta version, but what that means is that Superior Drummer AAX is pretty far along and should be right about ready for release, and will come sooner rather than later. Cool!
It may simply be that the two are no longer linked? As the voice window not with the cpu/ram usage anymore.....

Wave-T.com
Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 AM

Yes, that could be the case as well. People shouldn't get their hopes up just yet.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 AM

yeah the sd2 shot in the video actually brought out a gasp from my lips, but it hasn't pulled me all the way out of my CPT upgrade woes though
Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
great observation. that's a huge one for me. i rely heavily on SD2.

regards,
marco
Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:

I noticed that too.

With a revamped audio engine comes a revamped system usage window. I wouldn't put much stock in what is or isn't showing. I did see a CPU meter for every core which is interesting. That might also raise the possibility of assigning plugs to a particular core or generating better diagnostic reports or crash logs.

But yeah I was happy to see SD.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM

You don't even get the fancy new metering unless you're HD so yeah, wait for tonight to see what else the "non-pro" version of Pro Tools also doesn't have.

This vibe lately on the DUC regarding 'hobbyist' or 'professional' is getting old. If they're going to maintain the 'tude, they need to rename the software.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Nice spot nst7 ... hope you're right about disk cache!

As an EZdrummer user, I noticed Superior Drummer too so hoping for lots of AAX announcements to coincide with PT11 launch later this week at Musikmesse.

I may not make the Avid event tonight (late here and unsure if it will stream to my iPad!) but what's the form for questions (if any)? Has there been an opportunity e.g. for a consolidated set of questions from us/DUC - many users are asking the same things e.g. Mac i7 'compatibility' or 'supported', can one bounce/freeze a single track, etc.?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 PM

I'm also a little peeved at the hobbyist v professional vibe.

I'm more than happy to accept that some (maybe many) professionals will have spent way more money than me ... but I've spent over £50,000 over 30 years of fun playing and recording as a hobbyist (well I do earn a little as a musican and freelancer in a studio), and I doubt I'll ever be lucky enough to recoup that!

I also believe there are many professionals who work in sectors of the industry where their 'employer' provides the equipment and they don't make a lot of equipment purchases out of their take home pay. I certainly know some!

All the money I've spent is from my earned income after tax. I've never enjoyed the professional luxury of writing off expenditure against my tax bill.

Are there any professionals willing to declare how much of their take home pay after tax they've spent on pro audio hardware/software?

Please feel free to put me in my place if £50,000 is a drop in the ocean compared to what professionals typically spend out of their take home pay after tax ;-)
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 PM

Righty, make sure you check out the pro tools expert site youtube video detailing some of the new stuff in PT11, for example it confirms bouncing a single track is included, equivalent to a freeze.

I plan to stay up here in UK, so if you're not staying up but have a specific question, feel free to let me know and I'll ask for you if others don't cover it.

I'm pretty sure I watched the PT10 announcement (or was it PT9? can't remember) streaming onto my iPad.