Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2003, 02:39 PM

Default Analog Summing vs. HD Mix Bus

Has anyone actually done a reasonable A/B comparison of an analog box like the Dangerous 2-bus and the HD mix bus? I read a couple of threads on the issue, but didn't come across anything solid, particularly with regards to HD.
I would really rather not add a summing box into the equation (hassle and $$ for extra outs etc.) but I can't help being seduced by the endorsements at the Dangerous site.

Nic
Old 03-06-2003, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Analog Summing vs. HD Mix Bus

From what I've heard there is no difference between the Mix mixbus and HD mix bus.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:08 PM

Actually, I bellieve the Hd Mix bus has quite a bit more headroom.

Nic
Old 03-06-2003, 03:13 PM

I have had the D2b for over a month now and I am liking it. I find that I don't have as much trouble setting mix levels. Individual instruments come out in the mix better, especially bass, vocals, kick & snare. It is hard to do a direct comparrison. You have to remix everything when you use the D2b, but comparing the best mix without and then remixing with the D2b, the D2b mix wins.

I don't have any extra problems using it, in fact I don't really have to think about it at all, just assign the outputs. I am using an expanded 192 (16 analog outs). BTW I am using the D2bLT which after talking to a DangerousAudio engineer was assured that the quality is basically the same as their higher priced model. I had two short D-sub to D-sub cables made and leave them connected all the time. It is as if the D2bLT is just part of the Digi 192. If I want to use outboard gear then I use different breakout cables, but I have a very large selection of plugins and find that I am happy with this setup. I have tried other things to improve my HD rig such as an external quality clock but the difference was very hard (if not impossible) to hear. The D2b difference is quite easy to hear. One more thing I should add, my sessions are 24bit 44.1. I have not compared the D2b using the higher sampling rates (96 or 192).

P.S. I was just reading the March 1st issue of Billboard's production credits. The #1 singles in every catagory (Hot100, R&B, Country, Rap, Dance/Maxi-Singles) were all recorded with ProTools however they were all mixed/summed through SSL boards.