Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2012, 04:50 PM

Smile Re: Sonnet & Magma Anyone tested. Out yet?

Magma has recently announced that they have released and are now shipping their Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis.
I heard that Intel and Apple have finally approved, qualified and certified the Magma Thunderbolt Expansion unit. IT IS NOW released!!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Sonnet & Magma Anyone tested. Out yet?

Bump for anyone who has gotten one up an running! Trying to decide which one to buy!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 AM

Since the 3T has officially been released I'll chime in. I've been using a pre-production unit since mid May, and it's fantastic. I've got HD Native running with an early 2011 17" Macbook Pro, and so far this setup handles anything my old HD2 1/2 would do. I say 2 1/2 because I had an HD2 Accel plus an additional HD process card (not Accel). I'm still using my 2 192 I/O's with additional cards for 24 analog I/O and it's been great. Mind you, I primarily do work that doesn't utilize lots of virtual instruments, but never the less this system has been super solid.
I'm currently using a 27" Apple LED Cinema Display daisy-chained off of the 3T, and external FW drive attached to my MB Pro for audio. I'd like to find a combo FW / USB pcie card to put in the 3T chassis so that I can attach my drives, ilok, and usb keyboard there. So far I've yet to find one that's compatible.
Great system though, so far very pleased!
Tommy
Old 07-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmenX View Post
Magma has recently announced that they have released and are now shipping their Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis.
I heard that Intel and Apple have finally approved, qualified and certified the Magma Thunderbolt Expansion unit. IT IS NOW released!!!!
I was told I have to wait 3 months
Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 AM

ok so the Magma seems to be working, what about the sonnet?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 AM

I believe people have posted that the Sonnet is working as well.

You might also consider OWC's new PCIe to Thunderbolt chassis which just came out. It's a little bit cheaper than the Sonnet.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thund...ercury_Helios/

Note that all these 1 slot versions will not work with HDX, but are okay with HD Native (or UAD cards). For HDX you'll need the 2 slot Sonnet or 3 slot Magma.

The Thunderbolt drivers are now built into Protools, so any of these should be fine. I think they have not officially announced compatibility because they haven't gotten the final official endorsement from Apple, but they are fully operational.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 PM

great , I have HD Native and a UAD card. I did notice on UA website it saying that their cards dont work with magma yet....
Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephil View Post
great , I have HD Native and a UAD card. I did notice on UA website it saying that their cards dont work with magma yet....
If you look at Info.plist for the UAD-2 PCIe drivers, the presence of the IOPCITunnelCompatible key suggests that it is Thunderbolt-ready. There's also a video somewhere on YouTube with a UAD-2 Quad and HDX card in some sort of Thunderbolt chassis.