Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on 32 Bit Mode?

While I think it's important to possess in-depth knowledge about all the other elements of filmmaking that come together to make a movie, (and while I've done one-stop-shop types of post projects before and I'm sure I will again in the future), the ideal situation in my opinion is to have the video done by video professionals, the audio done by audio professionals, and the authoring done by authoring professionals. If everybody has good lines of communication to one another this generally results in the best final product.

(my apologies if I'm continuing to veer this thread further away from 32 bit mode discussions)
Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 AM

well, yeah, we veered off topic here a bit guys...and hey postman, i was hoping you would weigh in on the original question - since i always value your thoughts. it seems like its one of those ironic times where avid has made an improvement to the product (32 bit mode), but we post guys can't really take advantage of it. and since i still really do care about sound quality in general, in life, this makes me a little bit sad. oh well.

as to the secondary topic...yes, i have, like everyone else, had a video editor do something 'bad' to my mixes after they left my shop. but in my world, there is no choice. most of the tv shows we mix end up delivering on HDCam or HDCamSR. but we don't have those decks in house. we can rent them in, but we have to pass that cost on to our client. and our clients don't want to pay for that (they either have their own, or are already paying for it at the video online session). so they take the files and go. for films, if it needs a dolby printmaster, that ain't happening here either (we're not dolby certified). for spots, i can't even remember the last time we laid back one of those. they used to go to D5, but i assume the ad business would be leading the way in the tapeless world. we've been ftp-ing (or emailing) spot mixes for years, usually back to the video house.
so, while i agree with you in principal, in the real world (my corner of it anyway) its just not happening that way.