Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2013, 07:24 AM

Default Audio vs Video Final Mix

I am looking for some direction. I primarily do audio/music production. I have been approached to mix tracks for a bands promotional reel video.

I have the songs they will be using and I have been cleaning and tightening up the audio production.

My question is are there things I should be doing for the Video guy that he might assume I know already. I thought Id ask here. As even though I am a novice when it comes to supplying audio for video, Id rather not come across as one if at all possible.

Here are a few of my assumptions/questions.
  • Final delivery - should it be 48khz 24 bit wav files?
  • What is optimal sound level for video work?
  • Should I ask him for this rough cut video file and I sync/compile the audio so that he truly just adds the video?
  • Should I be supplying Stems if he wants to do the compiling.
  • Do you have any suggested sites that might provide some tutorials for the questions I am asking.

Are there other questions I should be asking?

Id appreciate any guidance as I step into unfamiliar territory.

Dave
Old 10-26-2013, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Audio vs Video Final Mix

What dose the band mean by promo reel? a recording of there show or did they shoot music videos(s)
Is the editor cutting to a rough mix? do you need to make one for him? If he is not you will have timing problems
I don't think Stems are needed in this application
as for sound level read through the calibration thread pinned in this section but the band will probably want it as loud as posable

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-27-2013, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Audio vs Video Final Mix

Thanks for the links - I haven't read in great detail yet. But I think the bulk of the level questions lies in the atsc document chapter 6.

6. TARGET LOUDNESS AND TRUE PEAK LEVELS FOR CONTENT DELIVERY OR
EXCHANGE 

For delivery or exchange of content without metadata (and where there is no prior arrangement by the parties regarding loudness), the Target Loudness value should be –24 LKFS. Minor measurement variations of up to approximately ±2 dB about this value are anticipated, due to measurement uncertainty, and are acceptable (due to the comfort zone - see Annex E). Content loudness should not be targeted to the high or low side of this range. The true-peak level should be kept below -2 dB TP in order to provide headroom to avoid potential clipping due to downstream processing (such as audio coding used in delivery).

So I downloaded the Orban Loudness Meter and adjusted my levels. If I did it correctly I didn't realize how much different levels were in Post Production/Broadcast compare to Audio production.

In the attached log from Orban, my "BS.1770-2 long-term' seem to be in the -24 target.

I appreciate any feedback. I have been wanting to learn more about the post production world and I figured this was an opportunity to start gaining some learnings.

Thanks

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orban.jpg (27.8 KB, 0 views)