Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Default PT9 and Zoom R16 - Strange Problem

I am having some trouble and I believe its due to latency but I am not sure…

Here is some background.

Let’s start with some PC specs.

Intel Quad Core 2.2mhz Processor 4GB ram Nvidia 9600GT graphics card sata hard drive (It’s a HP a6544f)

Windows 7

Audio Interface – Zoom R16

I have been using Reaper and all is well.

I had bought Pro Tools 8 LE a while back with a Mbox 2 and with the announcement of PT9 and not being stuck using the mbox I did the crossgrade for $249.

So I get pro tools installed and all is well. I am working on a covers song so I start a blank project, add a click, then import the drum midi, set the tempos where the changes need to be and insert steven slate drums on it. All is well. (SD2.0/Metal Foundry crashes the whole program FYI)

I insert some bass midi (all from Guitar pro files) and put the pro tools xpander2 instrument on it and select a bass patch. All is still fine and dandy.

Time for guitar. I run the line out on my amp to the R16 and arm that for recording. I lay down some very simple guitar and viola. Its not even CLOSE to lined up with the other instruments. I can grab and shift it over to line it up and its fine. My timing on the take was good. Its laying it down too late to be lined up with everything else….

When playing though I am monitoring everything from the R16. Via headphones. And it sounds fine. Even using software amps in Pro Tools, (the included elevenrack or Sansamp plugins) there is no noticeable latency when I am playing. It sounds fine.

What is causing my audio to not be recorded at the proper time? Reaper never did this. Even with the same interface….

another issue that is happening 100% of the time is this:

In PT when you change any audio device settings you are prompted to quit and restart for them to take effect.

When I quit the program will not successfully shut down. It hangs at the all gray workspace screen and you get the swirling blue Windows 7 "thinking" circle.... Nothing happens and you have to close the program.

Then PT wont restart the program without you doing a complete machine restart.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Default Re: PT9 and Zoom R16 - Strange Problem

alrighty, after both disabling all visual effects in W7 AND changing the HW buffers on the R16 to 64 its working again.

And I tried recording some audio and there wasn't the problem I had before.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 PM

Default Re: PT9 and Zoom R16 - Strange Problem

Hey there, I was just thinking about buying the R16 to use as an interface instead of a used 002 because I could use it as a stand alone recorder. Does PT9 work w/ R16 O.K? Aside from I/O, does PT record fader moves, pans, mutes etc. from R16? I'm on a macbook pro , PTLE 8 w/ mbox2 mini. Thanks!