Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 02:58 PM

Default Why does audio stop when inserting 1st plugin?

When I insert the first instance of any plugin there is a solid .5-1 sec pause in the audio playback. I've used many other systems and not had this problem. What could be causing this. I've tried all h/w buffer size and dae playback combonations.

Mac g5 dual 2.0 ghz
OSX 10.4.6
2.5 GB Ram
PT HD 7.2
HD core card (plus 1 process card)
Old 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Why does audio stop when inserting 1st plugin?

The TDM buss. Heck, you used to have to stop playback to insert a plug, consider yourself lucky.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:11 PM

So why does it happen on this machine, but I when go to a different studio running off a G4 and it dosent happen? Could an Accel card make the difference?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:19 PM

For me there's usually some pause in audio when inserting a plugin, but it seems to vary from plug to plug, and also depend on whether it's RTAS or TDM.

If I want to A/B a track with and without a plugin very quickly (which is what I'm assuming you're wanting to do), I'll just insert the plug and flip it in and out using the master bypass. There's no pause or delay with that.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:30 PM

no, it's not to a/b, (I'll disabel it ,Control+Apple+click, or use the master bypass) if I want to do that. I just want my first instance to not make my audio stop, it's just messes with my mojo when I'm mixing and a awkward break in the music happens you know? I most likely wouldn't care if I have not worked on systems where this didnt happen or the pause was so small that you really don't notice it. Sometimes a client will look at me with on eye closed like "what was that?" Then I tell them and it's no problem.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
no, it's not to a/b, (I'll disabel it ,Control+Apple+click, or use the master bypass) if I want to do that. I just want my first instance to not make my audio stop, it's just messes with my mojo when I'm mixing and a awkward break in the music happens you know? I most likely wouldn't care if I have not worked on systems where this didnt happen or the pause was so small that you really don't notice it. Sometimes a client will look at me with on eye closed like "what was that?" Then I tell them and it's no problem.
Welcome to the world of TDM. only native systems can instantiate plugins without the audio stopping briefly. In the old days, one would have to get out of one's seat and grab 2-4 patch leads and patch the processor in via the patchbay, then sit back down in to one's seat and get back to work Oh i miss the old days.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.