Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 02-08-2021, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Bug of the week: HDX offline bounce different from online bounce

I'm still wondering is the multi mono the culprit or is it the sidechain combined with multi mono the issue?

I use multi mono a lot, but never sidechains...
Old 02-08-2021, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
I'm still wondering is the multi mono the culprit or is it the sidechain combined with multi mono the issue?

I use multi mono a lot, but never sidechains...
PT mixer is multi-mono by its nature, if something there could be some random bugs with interleaved sessions which were introduced in PT10 but even back then it was rare
Old 02-12-2021, 12:57 PM

I wonder if this may be in some way related to the apparent absence of proper delay compensation in sidechaining...
I also used to be able to completely break a Pro Tools session just by having instances of mono busses in the session. I grew so mistrustful of the practice that I'll only create stereo busses in the I/O setup now, and use only one side of a pair if I need a mono bus. In the past (several versions ago) there would be problems with seemingly unrelated signal paths failing to pass audio, major timing problems in other audio and MIDI tracks, etc.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Which PT version?
And is it different in older/newer versions?

I (almost) never have any offline bounce issues. And I phase null check on a regular basis. Only major issue I had was an eq on a masterfader of a sub bus which is behaving different realtime compared to offline (delay compensation).

Missing channels happens occasionally realtime here, out of the blue, like dropping a single channel or track, but solved by restarting PT.

Actually, the most problematic bounces are realtime here...
You should NEVER put a master fader with a plug in on a subpath of a wider path. Master Faders cannot "receive" delay comp info because they are only spigots, and don't generate mixer channels. That has never worked and likely never will.

However, I do think that the red indicator in the edit window header should come on when something "illegal" like this is done.

Note - if you don't put any plug-ins on the master fader you can probably get away with a master fader on a subpath.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTGraham View Post
I wonder if this may be in some way related to the apparent absence of proper delay compensation in sidechaining...
Sidechain delay compensation is meant to be an exclusive feature of the HDX mixer. In my opinion that's complete BS but it is what is. Avid have proposed they would make the Hybrid Mixer available to HDX users so I'm curious to see how they reconcile the two feature sets in an augmented Native mixer. Could it force Avid's hand into extending full delay compensation to regular users? Will they aggravate HDX card owners by neglecting to implement it? Or will they take pains to keep it HDX exclusive? I imagine that would mean maintaining separate versions of the mixer just to placate a very niche segment of the user-base.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
Sidechain delay compensation is meant to be an exclusive feature of the HDX mixer. In my opinion that's complete BS but it is what is. Avid have proposed they would make the Hybrid Mixer available to HDX users so I'm curious to see how they reconcile the two feature sets in an augmented Native mixer. Could it force Avid's hand into extending full delay compensation to regular users? Will they aggravate HDX card owners by neglecting to implement it? Or will they take pains to keep it HDX exclusive? I imagine that would mean maintaining separate versions of the mixer just to placate a very niche segment of the user-base.
I'd be extremely surprised if sidechain delay compensation were a "premium" feature that HDX users feel possessive over. I imagine it would actually be the opposite - if I were an HDX user and I had to exchange sessions with other users who may or may not have access to an HDX rig depending on where they're working and whether they're at their own machine, I'd be pretty frustrated that the timing might be different when someone else opens the session than it is for me.