Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2009, 05:39 PM

Default KVM Switch and Pro Tools CPU Power?

Hi,

I'm having kind of a bizarre issue. I have a completely dedicated Pro Tools computer and a different computer for internet and non-pro tools things. I use 1 monitor and mouse/keyboard for both computers and have a KVM switch to go in between the systems. The switch is activated by tapping Scroll Lock twice followed by either 1 or 2.

I'm finding when I switch to the internet computer for a few minutes and back to the Pro Tools computer, whichever session I have open will tell me there isn't enough CPU and it won't play (the "play" and "stop" buttons flash simultaneously before displaying the error message). I'm forced to close the session and re-open it, then it runs smoothly again.

While this is just a minor annoyance, I'm trying to figure out what could cause this issue. I don't understand why switching computers (and temporarily inactivating the monitor/keyboard/mouse for the Pro Tools system) would make Pro Tools suddenly think there isn't enough CPU power for a session that it has plenty of power to run before the switch.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

PS I'm using a Digi 002 going to a dedicated firewire PCI card...
Old 02-24-2009, 05:53 PM

Default Re: KVM Switch and Pro Tools CPU Power?

Is your KVM USB or PS2? I have a similar setup; I don't do too much switching between my two machines whilst using Pro Tools, but I've never experienced that problem. I'm using a PS2 KVM that simulates a keyboard and mouse for the machine you're not connected to (you can boot a machine without having to flip the KVM to it). Is is possible yours is not doing this? Could the OS be 'looking' for the keyboard or mouse when you flip between machines?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a PS2 KVM, and you might be right, it could be "looking" for them...But why would that affect the CPU power for Pro Tools when I switch back? The mouse and keyboard all work fine when I go back to the PT system...
Old 02-24-2009, 06:20 PM

I assumed that you were seeing the CPU error from Pro Tools when you flipped back; i.e. it's already on-screen when you flip back. Are you seeing it sometime after you flip back? You could simulate a flip by yanking out the mouse and keyboard (from the back of the machine, not the KVM). Leave the monitor plugged in and watch to see what happens. Maybe it's just something you'll have to live with with that KVM. You didn't have to install any software for the KVM, did you?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 PM

are you using a kensington mouse (or especially a trackball)? They are notoriously odd with kvm switches and may contribute to your problem, if so.
other people's music:
www.headphonomenon.com
Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 PM

Yeah, I only see it when I click play (or the space bar) after switching back. No software installed with the switch either.

No track ball or anything, just a logitech laser mouse. I'm just trying to figure out what the mouse/keyboard could possibly have to do with how much CPU power pro tools thinks is available. I imagined it would be a setting or something, who knows.
Thanks..
Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM

I have a Gefen KVM and a Starview KVM, both USB KVM's, and have never had your problem with with either, although I always use the buttons on the KVM, not the keyboard shortcut.

The only issue I have had is that the Gefen won't allow my keyboard or mouse to work in DOS - no USB support there - so I can't for instance use it and change my BIOS or use Acronis from a Rescue Disk. I use the Gefen to control my monitor because it has DVI connections and will handle the 1920x1280 resolution of my monitor and I use the Starview for my keyboard and mouse.

Using them alone or together I have never had the issue you're describing with Pro Tools.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction