Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 02:10 PM

Default OT: Akai MPC users/fans?

A lot of my production/writing work is in the hip-hop genre. After reading how most hip-hop artists/producers use the mpc and how the mpc is the "Stratocaster of hip hop", I decided to purchase the Akai mpc1000. (Up until this point I've done my loops/samples with a functional combination of ProTools, Stylus RMX, Intakt(slicing) and a Guru demo - although Guru isn't compatible with PT7 yet)

While I'm digging the "hardware" aspect of the mpc...ultimately I see the unit slowing down my "work flow"
(chopping beats in PT beat detective, exporting wav files to the mpc, sequencing, and then re-importing (a stereo file "only") back into PT, etc.)
I like having certain limitations (it keeps my productions honest), but the mpc is feeling like a step backward.

Any thoughts/opinions?
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 04-16-2006, 05:44 PM

Default Re: OT: Akai MPC users/fans?

HI there,

I use an MPC 2000. First of all, Id like to know how you go about transfering these files to your MPC?

Anyhow this is abit of odd situation. As you no the MPC is renowned with Hip-Hop producers, It has kind of a 'groove of It's own' thing going on! Plus it's really fun to use to build up sequences. So I can understand you wanting to program your beats using the MPC interface, i.e. you get your groove by manually inputing the sounds. But then putting the indivual sounds back into pt and re-edting them, is kind of defeating the object of using the MPC in the first place. Plus if you are re-sequencing with pt, you are right, it is going to take you time to get these sounds grooving as they were inside the MPC.

What I suggest if using the MPC to sequence is... Get your loop going as you want it on the MPC, then solo the first sound you want to record with the loop still running, hit record in pt and record the lenght of the loop....there is the first part of your seqeunce. Carry on this way for every part of the MPC loop, recording to separate tracks in pt each time. From here it is just a case of editing to a loop in pt. Make sure as well that you begin recording from exactly the same point in the MPC seqeunce each time (the start helps) Once all the sounds are in it is just a case of making sure that they are working (in a timing sense) with the rest of the loop and rest of the track in pt. This should keep the exact groove you had going in your MPC everytime.
Sorry bout the long winded explanation.

hope this helps
Old 04-16-2006, 08:37 PM

thanks kikumoto for the input .
I transfer files from PT to mpc1000 via usb.
I understand/agree about the "groove" thing, therefore I wouldn't re-edit the beats after recording back in to PT.
The suggestion about soloing instruments and taking multiple passes seems to be the only way to maintain the mpc vibe AND have control over individual sounds(i.e. separate tracks) for the mixdown. It's a little tedious (especially compared to Stylus or Guru)
So the question remains...Is the mpc "vibe" worth the extra effort? (I guess that's for me to decide)
thanks again
Genelec 8030A/7050b
Old 04-17-2006, 10:58 AM

bump
Genelec 8030A/7050b
Old 04-17-2006, 11:24 AM

why don't you just sequence in pro tools and send the MIDI data to trigger the MPC? I didn't read your post real thoroughly, so if this post makes sense, sorry.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
It's a little tedious (especially compared to Stylus or Guru)
So the question remains...Is the mpc "vibe" worth the extra effort? (I guess that's for me to decide)

To totally answer your question..... Anybody can open up Stylus and get a groove up and running. But then 'Anybody' will sound the same as Everybody.

If you want to be a true master of beats, do it yourself on the MPC. Yes it's not as quick... But it's much more fulfilling.

IMO it's definitely worth the extra effort to sound original.

Just to add, I have an MPC60 and an MPC2000XL with the extra outputs. Having more simultaneous outs does make the workflow a lot quicker as you can track everything in one pass.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 04-17-2006, 04:23 PM

thanks for the input Jon
I'm leaning towards keeping the mpc...it's very "vibe-y"
just to clarify...I'm not talking about using the pre-existing loops on Stylus or Guru. I was using the individual hits/sounds to create my own grooves. The software "beatboxes" have TONS of sounds and they are categorized very nicely...but creating on the mpc does seem to be very organic (once you've loaded the sounds you want).
Genelec 8030A/7050b
Old 04-17-2006, 04:38 PM

Don't take it personal but it's kinda based on you not being a MPC user.
You are adding the MPC to your methods not using the MPC.
There is a big difference.
Using an MPC (the 1000 wouldn't be my choice but still) depends on your workflow.
The MPC gained it's stature as a work environment it it has a certain functional flow about it.
Chopping your samples up in the MPC, sequencing other synths from the MPC, things of this sort shows the personality of the MPC.
It's not really about trigger loops and samples it a creative workspace.

I would suggest that you find a real MPC user and learn more about the depth and methods of the MPC, to see if that way of working can benefit you.
If you dig into the MPC it becomes second nature and you can really fly when using it.

The tools you mention that you were using prior to the MPC purchase are geared totally different from the MPC, and using an MPC to archieve the results that they yield are counter productive to a certain degree.

I know lots of people who use software, but I haven't really found software that allows the MPC methods of working.
They can easily meet the sampling needs but not the creative flow and methods of assembly (or sound character if we are talking MPC-60/3000).
Old 04-17-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:

What I suggest if using the MPC to sequence is... Get your loop going as you want it on the MPC, then solo the first sound you want to record with the loop still running, hit record in pt and record the lenght of the loop....there is the first part of your seqeunce. Carry on this way for every part of the MPC loop, recording to separate tracks in pt each time. From here it is just a case of editing to a loop in pt. Make sure as well that you begin recording from exactly the same point in the MPC seqeunce each time (the start helps)

Any reason you're not syncing the MPC to PT for this?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
You are adding the MPC to your methods not using the MPC
not true. I'm working with the mpc ONLY at this point....and I'm loving it. I'm just trying to ween myself from having 500 (or so) kick drums to choose from in Stylus.(I love Stylus too... but yes it's a different animal. I actually find the FXpansion Guru to be more like the mpc)
As I stated earlier, I like limitations...keeps me honest. I'm quickly seeing the mpc's strengths (and weaknesses) but the bottom line is....it makes the sounds that I'm hearing in my head.
The responses to my original post were what I was looking for...passionate mpc users telling me that I'm not stepping backwards.
thanks for all of the input
Genelec 8030A/7050b