How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2011, 11:05 AM

Exclamation MIDI input not working Mbox 2

Hi Guys,

I had a hunt around for this but the only MIDI errors seem to be with the 002/003.

Basically, i am running OSX 10.6.6 on a MacBook Pro, with the Mbox 2 (the blue one!). I previously had 8.0.4cs2 running absolutely fine.

I upgraded to 9.0, then to 9.0.1. I then tried to play Velvet (which by the way is the newest version, which came with the Instrument Expansion Pack) with my external keyboard (Yamaha CS2x) via the MIDI in on the Mbox.

I get no MIDI input at all, yet all MIDI RTAS instruments playback fine.

I initially thought the newest driver was maybe at fault, so tried a reinstall; this didn't work, in fact it stopped PT loading up all together! (Solved by the way by re-installing the 9.0.1 update over the top).

The bizarre thing is, sometimes it does work..... When it does work, the Mbox2 icon in MIDI setup is highlighted, but when it doesn't it's 'greyed out'.

I've tried every combination of rebooting, unplugging the Mbox, plugging it back in, swapping devices etc etc, but there's no apparent reason why it works sometimes and not others!!!!!

Any ideas? It's stunting my creativity!

Cheers guys and gals!

(I did check out the help files, but they just told me to do all the things I have already tried!)
Old 01-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Default Re: MIDI input not working Mbox 2

For the 002/003 there is a fix:

Fix for 003/002 MIDI Issue with Pro Tools 9.0.1

All the drivers are here: http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=379411

I'd make sure I had the correct driver for your Mbox. Shut everything down and reboot.

Did you trash prefs?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
For the 002/003 there is a fix:

Fix for 003/002 MIDI Issue with Pro Tools 9.0.1

All the drivers are here: http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=379411

I'd make sure I had the correct driver for your Mbox. Shut everything down and reboot.

Did you trash prefs?
Hi there,

Yep, got the newest , correct drivers, and also trashed preferences, still nothing. In fact, now the Mbox2 doesn't even appear in the Audio/MIDI setup window, but I can still use it in PT, for audio/RTAS instrument playback. I just cannot get any MIDI input at all.

I even tried to update the MIDI drivers, but no joy. At this rate I'll be going back to PT8!

My last resort is to reinstall OSX to an earlier incremental version and try PT 9.0 with the full installer instead of the update from version 8.

Quite frustrating this, but I WILL beat it!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySolomon View Post
Hi there,

Yep, got the newest , correct drivers, and also trashed preferences, still nothing. In fact, now the Mbox2 doesn't even appear in the Audio/MIDI setup window, but I can still use it in PT, for audio/RTAS instrument playback. I just cannot get any MIDI input at all.

I even tried to update the MIDI drivers, but no joy. At this rate I'll be going back to PT8!

My last resort is to reinstall OSX to an earlier incremental version and try PT 9.0 with the full installer instead of the update from version 8.

Quite frustrating this, but I WILL beat it!
one issue could be that 10.6.6 is not approved? ff
Old 01-16-2011, 02:20 AM

Yep, I agree....I must be honest I didn't realise 10.6.6 was 'out' until I updated me MacBook.

I'll post an update when I've re-installed the OS for information!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 AM

Hi Guys!

Still no joy at all.........i attempted to reinstall Snow Leopard 10.6.3 with my install DVD, hoping that going back to this version would help.

It didn't!

Still the same problem; the Mbox2 does not show in Audio/MIDI setup, and still cannot get any MIDI input.

Next step. Do a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and a clean install of PT 9.0.1 AND the newest Mbox2 driver.

Once again I'll let you guys know if this works! What a pain!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Ok, so I'm in the middle of the reinstall of OS X.

I thought i'd have a look at the Audio/MIDI setup on the iMac upstairs, which has 10.5.8 installed and Pro Tools LE 8.0.4cs2.

The Mbox2 was unplugged when I opend the audio/MIDI setup, so the icon was 'greyed out', as was the icon for the DIGI 003 I sometimes bring home to record with. So I plugged the MBox2 in, and the icon lit up/became usable as soon as the USB indicator lit up on the Mbox. It doesn't do this on the MacBook, the icon remains 'greyed out' what ever I do.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........
Old 01-16-2011, 12:21 PM

If you did not install the drivers before installing PT 9 you will have to start all over again...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-16-2011, 12:33 PM

One poster found this to work. I haven't tried it.

Just go to Library/Audio/MidiDriver and delete the MidiMobdriver... then reboot
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:41 PM

Hi Bill,

I did install the new driver before PT 9! I've installed OS X again now at version 10.6.3, then I have installed the new drivers......It's looking hopeful, as I can now see the Mbox2 icon in audio/MIDI setup as it should be.........just going to install PT 9 now...........