How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Default cant hear sound when playing back recording

i have a Imac running mac OS X 10.6.8 with a 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo processor
and 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory. I'm using an onyx blackbird audio interface with pro tools 10. I can record, but not playback the audio. what could be the problem? Also how do I get the audio to playback on the moniters hooked up to the audio interface, and not the Imac?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 AM

Default Re: cant hear sound when playing back recording

Select the onyx as your playback engine in pt. Check your io routing in the session. To have the onyx used for default audio playback on th imac, select the onyx in the ams under system prefs. Spend time with the manual.

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 AM

now i get a message saying the current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 44.1 KHz
Old 08-30-2012, 11:00 AM

Am I to assume your current playback engine is the Onyx? When you say "Now", would it be to much to ask what has transpired. It's hard to make suggestions based on assumptions. Just sayin...

Have you rebooted? Power cycled the Onyx? The more detailed you get the more details you will get.

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 AM

So...

You can change what PT will use as the playback engine 2 ways... When launching PT hold the "N" key down until you get a pop up window that allows you to select which device you want to use (Onyx, or Built in Output (this is the Imac)). When in a session you go up to SETUP/PLAYBACKENGINE and select your device in the drop down menu.

To get the audio out of your Onyx (and into your monitors) you can go up to SETUP/I/O, click on the outputs tab at the top and click the default button (that is once you have the Onyx selected as playback engine). The main output should be outputs 1 and 2 (its the main stereo outputs (Main Out) on the back of the Onyx)