Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Default Pro Tools just bounces in the dock...

I've seen this problem posted here before and think it is fairly common, but the search didn't turn up an answer for me. Anyway, I have Pro Tools M Powered 7.4 having been one of the upgrades from Academic 7.3. My iLok is up to date, I had to update that for the 7.4 upgrade. I am running a Power Mac G5 (PPC) with Tiger 10.4.11, 4 GB's of RAM, and an M-Audio 192 as the soundcard. There is no other interface going into it today. Pro Tools 7.4 had always worked for the last few months with no problems, so I have used it, lightly, anyway.

I upgraded to the 7.4cs3 thinking that might help, now it bounces in the dock 3 or 4 times instead of once, anyway. I have restarted the computer with the upgrade, no help. Ableton Live 5, Digital Performer 5.13 and Logic Pro 8.0.1 all boot up OK, so this tells me the problem is not likely with Core Audio but more likely isolated to Pro Tools. Any thoughts?

Now that I think about it I do have the trial of Eleven, which I never used or even started to use yet. Could this be the problem?
Thanks in advance all, L
Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools just bounces in the dock...

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=28438
Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the quick response- good idea, but no go. I also forgot I hadn't run the repair permissions in a couple of weeks, so I did that. Still bounces. I am downloading the 10.4.11 "Combo" update, which I am almost certain I already did- I never take Apple's stack updates anymore. So it should be done in a minute, but so far, no luck. Any other ideas?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 AM

No help with the Combo update either.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:31 PM

try making a new user account on the computer

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-07-2008, 10:03 AM

I'm not sure how to do that, make a new user account. Other than the Admin account I always use?

I last used PT about two weeks ago. Nothing had changed that I'm aware of, nothing of any significance anyway.

My fear is this: I was one of those who got the upgrade from the Academic 7.3 to the M-Powered 7.4. I'm loathe to reinstall the whole thing, and I'm not sure if the download for the 7.4 is still there in the first place, since it was said to be a limited time thing. Does anyone know if I should just do this and shut up about it, or should I keep messing with solutions for a while?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM

The failure to launch is one of the known problems with running ProTools on 10.4.10 and 10.4.11. All versions of PT (LE, M-Powered and HD) on a PPC (and most versions on Intel Mac) are only officially qualified up through 10.4.9.

We experienced the same problem back with LE 7.3 when we updated to 10.4.10. Reinstalling your OS and then using the 10.4.9 combo upgrade is the only permanent solution.

It's a huge pain, I know. We've formatted one of our computers here five times because of various version compatibility problems before we found a combination that works.

Moral of the story: find out what version of OSX your software is qualified to work with, install that version, and then leave it that way. Apple's bizzare obsession with totally overhauling an OS to the point that it makes programs not work makes updating very dangerous. While a new OS version might sport snazzy new features, you should carefully consider the headaches upgrading causes before committing to anything.

Ryan Dorp
Robert Berke Sound
San Francisco, CA
Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM

Have you run the pre-binding script? I know you said you downloaded and installed the combo update, which should have fixed the problem, but if it doesn't the pre-binding script almost always fixes this issue. http://www.paceap.com/prebind_script.dmg at this point, I don't know what else to tell you.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 03-07-2008, 02:59 PM

I also had Academic 7.3 and got the upgrade to M-Powered 7.4. If you got the upgrade email from Digi and downloaded the 7.4 license onto your iLok, you can download 7.4 here:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=28542

I'm running 10.4.11 on a Powerbook with 7.4 with no issues whatsoever. Just for good measure, I downloaded the latest 7.4 update, which is 7.4.cs3, I think. The CS3 update in on the Digi site under "Support and downloads." Just click on M-Powered for Mac and you will see the download section.

By the way, I didn't even have to run the pre-binding script. 10.4.11 and MP 7.4 are working fine on this machine, and worked without issue on the iBook G4 I just recently sold as well..

Quote:
I'm not sure how to do that, make a new user account. Other than the Admin account I always use?

I last used PT about two weeks ago. Nothing had changed that I'm aware of, nothing of any significance anyway.

My fear is this: I was one of those who got the upgrade from the Academic 7.3 to the M-Powered 7.4. I'm loathe to reinstall the whole thing, and I'm not sure if the download for the 7.4 is still there in the first place, since it was said to be a limited time thing. Does anyone know if I should just do this and shut up about it, or should I keep messing with solutions for a while?