Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2003, 04:44 PM

Default Mackie Hui

I'd like to know if anyone has anything positive to say about the HUI. I've read some less than favorable remarks, but that's how it can be, bad experience people post way more than people with good experiences.

I'm looking for more than the Mackie control but less than the Control 24, something with level meters and a jog shuttle wheel for the Digi 002R.

Thanks.

FatBelly Slim

Oh no, not the sprinklers again.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Mackie Hui

I used a HUI before we got Pro Control and found it to be a very good, reliable control surface. You will still need some outboard meters however. Still insufficient metering on the HUI, but a good box.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:14 PM

Can you elaborate on insufficient metering. Are you saying the metering isn't accurate or are just speaking about the amount of channels that can be metered.

Thanks.

FatBelly

Old 05-28-2003, 09:41 PM

I think he probably means that the metering is just a bit slow (especially if you've got a lot going on in your session) due to the fact it transmits all information via MIDI (which can't really keep up with the speed needed for accurate metering - I suppose).

I use a HUI, but I've got an analog meter bridge sitting on top of it with VU meters.

You can put the meters on the HUI into "Meter Path" mode by pushing the F6 key - that shows me just the L & R meters, that's a good reference point too (no where near as busy as trying to update all of the channels then).

My HUI is working great for me - good jog/shuttle wheel. It's fine (more so for the price) - much like you I wanted more than the Logic Control provided (and doesn't look like a tonka toy). The analog section isn't so great - but I am using it (for ease of monitoring use).

Hope that helps?
Old 06-03-2003, 03:53 PM

Sorry to be slow getting back to you. The HUI meters just don't have enough resolution to be really accurate as to what your levels really are. I have to deliver sound for network broadcast and the specs for level are more exacting than the hui allows for. Hope I explained myself better this time.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I may need to look into other control units or least find some form of accurate monitoring with whatever control surface I use.

Thanks again.

FatBelly

Old 06-11-2003, 01:41 PM

I also use a HUI and have found it to be great. The metering comment is fair, but I simply use the mix window to meter that accurately if I have to and even then the metering isn't that bad on the HUI.