Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2002, 04:25 AM

Default Re: How do u make money in the biz??

The DEFINITION of music business LUCK

When preparation meets opportunity

You look at the "lucky" people. They usually place themselves in situations where they can get lucky. There is no safe way in life. I'm a college grad who decided to get into music fulltime despite the risk becase at least with this I know the risk. Let's suppose I worked for Enron or any of the airlines after Sept 11. I could be layed off with no income.

Excuse my rant. My point is. You have to hustle for your dollars if you want to control your destiny.

FREELANCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Make every dollar count and don't buy more equipment than you need. I know Digi won't like this but heed this. Feeding your family is more important than the difference between mix and HD or the brand new converter/plugins of the month.

Most people spend their entire lives paying to buy a home. Concentrate your income on buying a home outright (It's possible in the music business alot of us have over 60G's in equipment)
Old 12-27-2002, 09:22 AM

At the risk of posting in the wrong forum. . .

I'm using an 001 system. I have a day job as a computer programmer.

I wondered how I could get people to pay me to record them.

I got a second little job booking bands at a bar close to where I live. I liked the entertainment that was playing there. In doing that, I put myself in a position to meet LOTS of musicians. Namely musicians that need DEMO recordings, and some that want to work on CDs to distribute at their shows.

This really worked !!!

It started kind of slow at first so I started letting them know that could come to their gigs and do live recordings cheap. That interested them, and I would produce a solid live recording. Once they heard what sort of quality I was working with, they followed into the studio. In fact most times, if I did a live recording, I got them in the studio.

Now, I'm not making enough to make a living. However, I'm not in debt over my equipment anymore. Also, I have a little extra and a small business I started myself. I have hopes that one day I can make a living from doing this, but I don't really live in a bustling music scene.

The point I'm trying to make is persistence pays, putting oneself in the right place at the right time. A little luck and lot of husltle and sweat are what I recommend. Basically I think with recording and working for ones'self, you must make your opportunities.

A little luck and a LOT of perspiration. I mean when it comes down to it , its a service oriented practice. Not much different than : "Do you want fries with that ?"

regards,
DeadHead
Old 12-27-2002, 09:27 AM

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...c;f=1;t=004329
Old 12-27-2002, 10:09 AM

Is a lot of money really your goal? If so, get into lobbying in DC, tort law, corporate racial shakedowns, or back-stab your way up the corporate ladder and get on a lot of Boards. Instead of yaghting or owning a winery, make music as a hobby to forget about your deceitful, lowly, empty career.
I do not know of many successful musicians who persued music to make a lot of money. They want to persue art or recognition. So many great artists and musicians died penniless. I support my family by working in the studio electronics biz, and investing/ losing money in my spare time. That and giving to others through my church makes my life full.
You already have contacts through the deals you have made in the past, so perhaps it is possible to get some production work, or collaborate with other writers through your publishing contacts. In pop music, most "songs" are written by more than one person. Working for ten years, you must know hundreds of DJ's, writers, producers, etc. looking for the chemistry of collaboration.
Good luck!
Old 12-27-2002, 11:22 AM

The A&R man wish IS IMHO a pipe dream..

They hire cool looking young cats in their late teens & early twenties who dont know much. They like to train em up from scratch.

IMHO, experience is often a quality not held in high regard for starting A&R positions.

------------

For studio work, doing great work and word spreading around is a good way to go..

How are you at working on 'other peoples stuff' ? I ask because many artist/engineers find it unbearable.

It's tough out there...
www.gearslutz.com
Old 12-27-2002, 11:24 AM

There is no such thing as "luck". Do what your heart tells you. Don't do something just because the $$ is good, you'll end up not enjoying it. Follow your heart, not dollar signs. Find some sort of niche for yourself with your talents and gear, something that you're good at and will enjoy.

Putting your earnings into equipment was not a stupid thing, it's better than a lot of people who put their money up their nose, or into fancy cars, and now have nothing but memories to show for their talent and work.

Don't become an A&R guy, that's a step DOWN, WAY DOWN.(at least the ones I dealt with) [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Cane, what part of the world are you from?

If you really want to make a career shift, you may need to eat some humble pie for a little while. If you want to stick to what you already know, create the next Insync, or Spice girls, and write and produce the songs, just a thought.

Good luck (no wait a minute, that contradicts everything I've been saying! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Follow your heart! Do what you love, and MAKE it happen. Create your own success.
[email protected]
http://www.boomchic.com
Old 12-27-2002, 03:39 PM

oops, yes I guess I should have answered some of your questions..

I don't make enough as a freelance person ...yet, but I need to kick myself in the a** again and get back out there. good thing for thhe day gig.
As far as getting paid, well that's another issue. People out here love free work and think that it should all be free. Take a look at sites like mandy.com and see why we're all not working more..

I've done plenty of projects that were like pulling teeth when it came time to get paid.
"Oh, I only have this or that" or some other BS

One suggestion... get half up front.. It shows your professionalism and shows that the client is serious. I'm not into that "check's in the mail" or "if we like your work on this...." Be careful!

But, rest assured, they always find money when you tell them they can pick up the finished masters, etc when they bring you money...funny how that works [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

There is work out there and it's just a matter of putting yourself around those people.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:10 PM

The music industry is a demon. I would try something other than music. I was in a band, and we were damn good. Had a huge following in Chicago. I know tons of other really good bands that are a ******** better than most of the crap out there. The record companies aren't looking for talent, they are looking for pretty people. If you are a pretty person, then you've got it made. (Now don't get the idea that I am really ugly, I'm only slightly ugly).

Anyway, it's all about who you know, not what you know, or how you do it.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:12 PM

if ya depend on luck, you'll most likely be out of full-time-music really, really quickly..... unless you're one of the 15% of 1% of musicians who 'luck out'.....

offhand, i'd venture to guess:

do what you do best, and then continue improving on that:
at least you'll walk with some dignity, with or without luck.....

let people know what ya do, as best ya can..... and continue doing that, regardless of successes or failures.

endlessly diversify your skills.

enjoy others' company, collaboration and satisfaction.

respectfully,
dt / splattercell
Old 12-27-2002, 04:29 PM

The way I've made money in this business is songwriting and developing artists.

Convincing the labels to sign these artists, then getting paid to produce these artists while convincing publishing companies to give me a publishing deal.

Then it's a lottery to see which artists come out and which ones don't.

Then I work with anyone who convinces me to work with them and it goes round & round.

Although with your experience I would try to get into the dance remix business.

I would do dance remixes (for free) of all the upcoming artists and start sending them to each artists A&R person. Y.